Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem creeping up with Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 05:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

I am curious if it is not going into 4th gear (only shifting twice when starting from a stop) or if the torque converter isn't locking up (shifts three times when starting from stop, but when 50~MPH is reached the converter doesn't lock which you can feel as it drops the revs a few hundred)

Old 09-30-2015, 08:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
I am curious if it is not going into 4th gear (only shifting twice when starting from a stop) or if the torque converter isn't locking up (shifts three times when starting from stop, but when 50~MPH is reached the converter doesn't lock which you can feel as it drops the revs a few hundred)
It doesn't seem like that is what's going on. When it does happen it goes up to 3rd fine and then the RPM just steadily goes up, no hesitation or skip, never acts like it wants to go until I slow down, speed up again in a few cycles

Old 09-30-2015, 08:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still somewhat of a noobie here but learn a ton about these trucks and quality parts and fluids, etc.

I almost want to bet on this stuff fixing your problem because it has worked so damn well for me in so many applications, especially my transmission. I had very rough shifting, sporadically, all of a sudden - some weird hesitations and prevention from shifting and this made my transmission feel better than new. I also add it to my gear oils in my transfer case, my differentials, and my engine oil as recommended. Give it a try:

Drain some ATF out from your transmission and empty the whole 24oz bottle of this into it:
http://www.amazon.com/Lucas-10009-Transmission-Fix-oz/dp/B000ARTZPO/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1443662962&sr=1-1&keywords=lucas+transmission+fix http://www.amazon.com/Lucas-10009-Transmission-Fix-oz/dp/B000ARTZPO/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1443662962&sr=1-1&keywords=lucas+transmission+fix

Also add about 24oz of this into there:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AS1XYE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AS1XYE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

If you're feeling ambitious, drain some gear oil out of your transfer case and throw some of this second one in. Next time your service your differentials and do an oil change, throw some of this in as well....all as recommended on the label of course.

I bet it will help. I can personally vouch for it, this stuff is magic, enjoy.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Of course, follow procedure for filling the transmission as other have mentioned. Don't just fill it while cold and not running.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:57 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Andrew0
I'm still somewhat of a noobie here but learn a ton about these trucks and quality parts and fluids, etc.

I almost want to bet on this stuff fixing your problem because it has worked so damn well for me in so many applications, especially my transmission. I had very rough shifting, sporadically, all of a sudden - some weird hesitations and prevention from shifting and this made my transmission feel better than new. I also add it to my gear oils in my transfer case, my differentials, and my engine oil as recommended. Give it a try:

Drain some ATF out from your transmission and empty the whole 24oz bottle of this into it:
Amazon.com: Lucas 10009 Transmission Fix 24 oz.: Automotive

Also add about 24oz of this into there:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o09_s00

If you're feeling ambitious, drain some gear oil out of your transfer case and throw some of this second one in. Next time your service your differentials and do an oil change, throw some of this in as well....all as recommended on the label of course.

I bet it will help. I can personally vouch for it, this stuff is magic, enjoy.
I did use a quart of Lucas in my last oil change and power steering flush. I already had this is in mind going forward with the transmission if I continue encountering issue as discussed. That would be the first thing that I would do unless someone advises other external fixes or factors that could be related. Thanks for your responses everybody. She is behaving presently but I will surely return to this post and update if or when that changes

Old 10-12-2015, 02:12 PM
Pro Wrench

The past few days, I have shuffled it through every gear, reverse, neutral...while I'm letting it warm up to operating temp in the AM. I have found that it will then shift through the full range OK as it did before. So does it then hold true that the torque converter or whatever else has to "warm up?" I just don't know the coincidence of this whole thing as climate dropped 10 degrees at the same time I did the drain-and-fill on the tranny fluid but it gets on my nerves that I now have to go through a whole scherade and interary before I leave my house for work in the mornings now.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Too Much?

I'm re-checking the fluid, and it comes out of the fill hole as soon as I back the screw all of the way out, with the engine OFF. Did I overfill it, and now have an excess of trans fluid that is causing the problem I originally posted about?

If the engine is off, no fluid should be coming out, and when started and circulating it should then rise to the fill hole and that is max level, correct?

Should I be draining a bit of this fluid out or what?

Old 10-18-2015, 06:17 PM
Pro Wrench

No. That is normal. With the engine off, all of the fluid has drained into the pan. Once you start the engine, the excess fluid above the bottom of the fill plug threads will be sucked from the pan and into the transmission.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:31 PM
Pro Wrench

so should I not even worry that I overfilled? I had someone move through the gears, the oil stopped coming out of the fill hole and I began to add but didn't get any more in than whatever came back out shortly thereafter. It seems this is as close to what RAVE calls for as I can get.

Last edited by chubbs878; 10-18-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:49 PM
Pro Wrench

I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I am trying to remember how much fluid I was able to pump in after the engine started and all gears gone through the last few times I've done it...I think it was around a quart, but it's a blur as I was focusing on not burning my arm on the catalytic converter as I pumped and pumped until it finally began to trickle out.

Quick Reply: Problem creeping up with Transmission