Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem fixed

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 05:53 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem fixed

I've had an annoying problem with our 2001 V8

it all started about 2 months ago...firstly the fob(remote key) wouldn't lock all doors ....then when I tried the key in ignition... no lights and no start

each time the truck would not start I would take the positive lead of the battery
then the alarm would sound and the ignition lights where all on and the truck would start

I cleaned both the battery terminals and cleaned all the earth connections but still no luck... the problem still there sometimes the key would work and other times it didn't..also tried new battery in key...still no fix

I read the workshop manual(down loaded from this site..THANK YOU ) flicked through many of its 1600 pages ..learning lots but not identifying my problem

I then decided to book it in to (Gold star mechanics) to be diagnosed ..quote $77 to maybe find the problem

i turned up to Gold Star...Paul the mechanic takes one look at the battery and says change it ..this looks to be the problem...telling me that most cars can run with a half decent battery but the Land rover relies on a fully charged one to run properly

so I buy a new battery and my problem is solved...just thought i would share this with you all...now I'm happier than ever
cheers Corey

Old 08-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

But you did not test the original battery with a good meter, or avail yourself of the free test at many parts stores. That $77 would have paid for a good part of the battery.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:35 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
But you did not test the original battery with a good meter, or avail yourself of the free test at many parts stores. That $77 would have paid for a good part of the battery.

i did charge the old battery and thought it had enough charge, there is a green indicator on the battery and it was lit but a little dull...i didn't end up paying for the mechanic and the battery cost $175 for a 900 cca three year warranty

my original thoughts were that it would be costly as I thought it was the immobiliser or something to do with a door sensor or the ECU

cheers corey