Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems swapping radiator

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems swapping radiator

2000 Disco 2. As per a previous post of mine, I need to swap out my radiator. Attempted to start working on it tonight, to no avail.

I understand that the coolant lines are quick disconnects,but for the life of me, I can't disconnect them.

They are pretty well rusted, plus I'm not sure exactly which part of the line/coupling to move in which direction. Rave isn't much help, "push against coupling release rings" isn't that descriptive to me.

I have a used radiator with the fittings still attached, I was "practicing" on that using vise grips to get it to move. No go.

Would someone with experience removing these please reply when you get a chance? Thanks!

Old 12-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

first you problably want to soak them with pb blaster or seafoam deep creep.
But you push the outer ring in, then pull out, all in one motion. quite simular to a fuel line, you might try u-tube someone probably has a video on there.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not sure what you mean by quick disconnects. Most of the lines should be held on by the pressure clamps or the screw type (if the system has been worked on in the past). If it has the pressure ones, there is a tool made for taking them off. Looks like a pair of pliers, but has a cup on one end and a prong on the other. Makes a one handed removal easy, but makes putting them on even easier.
The issue you likely are having is they are just frozen on there from years of heat and crud. Like said, you could use a spray to try and get between the plastic and the rubber. The first time I did mine, there was no pulling them off though, and I had to take a razor and cut where they connected.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle

After reading it again, are you talking about the oil and transmission cooler lines? If so, those should not be TOO difficult. I have done those a bunch of times. Like mentioned, you need to push them in with one hand, and then pull the collar back towards you. There are 4 little teeth that connect to the ends of the tube on those coolers, so you just need them to retract. Be VERY careful about using ANY tool though. The last thing you want to do is have to change out those transmission cooler lines. The one of the bottom of the trans is easy, but the one on the top you will not want to touch (or will have to drop the trans to do it).

Old 12-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, guys.

When you say "push them in", I'm assuming that you mean push them in the direction of the radiator, correct?

I have an old rad, which still has the tranny/oil cooler lines attached. I was "practicing" on that, before I attempted to remove them on the truck. They are pretty well rusted up. I'll soak them up with PB and try again.

Question: when you cut yours off, I'm assuming that your only option at that point, was to replace the lines themselves, i.e., drop the tranny. Is there an option to cut the line and attach a new "head" to the line where you cut it off?

Thanks!

Old 12-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by steveo2000
Thanks, guys.

When you say "push them in", I'm assuming that you mean push them in the direction of the radiator, correct?

I have an old rad, which still has the tranny/oil cooler lines attached. I was "practicing" on that, before I attempted to remove them on the truck. They are pretty well rusted up. I'll soak them up with PB and try again.

Question: when you cut yours off, I'm assuming that your only option at that point, was to replace the lines themselves, i.e., drop the tranny. Is there an option to cut the line and attach a new "head" to the line where you cut it off?

Thanks!
No!!! I orginally thought you were speaking about the regular coolant lines because you didn't mention the oil or tranny coolers, just the regular radiator. DO NOT CUT THEM! Honestly, they should REALLY not be all that difficult. Yes, you push in towards the radiator straight, and pull the collar back. If you need me to, I could take a picture of the inside of one. I have a new oil cooler line in the garage.
I had to change my transmission cooler lines as they got cut from a defective fan exploding. You never want to have to replace those, trust me!

Old 12-04-2012, 02:39 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve please check pm box.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Why not avoid the issue all together - you can swap out the rad while leaving the trans & oil coolers in place.