Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled out a jeep today.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 08:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulled out a jeep today.

Me my friend went wheeling Today March 15,2006 to an area by my house with some muddy trails and some steep hill climbs When I finish cilmbing one of the hills a Dude in a red jeep cheroke came where I was straight up trying to show me out wheeling like crazy I just went there to test out my truck since Imgoing with my pops to holister with his Fj-80 and some other rovers and cruisers this coming weekend. Anyway he is looking at me like "what are you doing" I look back at him like " whats up with it" then he comes right up to my truck and speeds off putting some mud on my Disco I chased his *** I saw a deep area coming up some so I slow down and take another trail my Disco isn't modded for the extreme stuff yet and i don't have MT tires so when I stop to watch this fool he is wheeling like a crazy dude then SPLASH thick mud all over his truck and he gets stuck in it. I'm laughing like a nut I know it's mean but hey thats what happen when one goes beyond their means of showing off. anyway I begin to pull off then my friend David said to me "yo man you gonna help" I said "hell naw " Then I though about it The jeeper had a winch but nothing to strap it on to. So I though about it the guy he would be stuck for a while I'm thinking really hard now I know some jeepers say about rovas. Then I decide to give him a helping hand so I went around the mud area and drove to where he was stuck but I backed in so he could connect to my rear connection point on the frame. He gets pretty excited for some strange reason I put the truck in park and he starts getting his stuff ready after a few minutes of fighting with his connection rope he connects to my rear frame mount I get back inside my rover my friend is outside laughing I put the truck into gear 3 as I was already in 4wd lo I move the Disco 4ward due to my truck being heavy and the very strong frame I pull him out with ease. I take him a good distance away from the area when he is done with all of the disconnecting he looks at me kinda of like why did you do that then he ask me the question I said to him " because I aint trying to see someone in trouble" he looks and said " thanks man but It's a jeep thing you wouldn't understand" " I smile to myself I said " I understand That why I drive a rover the real thing" his looks at me rolling his eyes and pulls off guess he'll have a story to tell his jeep buds if he's not 2 embarrassed.

Old 03-17-2006, 02:08 PM
Drifting
Default RE: Pulled out a jeep today.

I'm glad you pulled him out! that was very big of you.

as far as the jeep vs rover thing . . . . i have both. If you're out trail riding there's nothing wrong with either of them. BUT, a purpose built jeep will destroy a land rover on any of the trails we run. Simply due to the size/weight of the rover. I have both so don't get me wrong, i love my rover, but it will not do things either of my jeeps (my TJ or CJ2A) will do.

just a few pics to show ya the kind of wheeling we do.

Name:  DSC01259.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  67.2 KB

Name:  DSC01263.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  70.3 KB

my ******

Name:  P1010377.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  385.7 KB

not trying to start a debate here, because land rovers have proven themselves over and over. But it would be hard to outwheel a purpose built jeep in one.

just my .02. good stuck though!

Old 03-17-2006, 02:15 PM
Three Wheeling

i think it is easier to get a Jeep to do extreme wheeling, than it is to mod out a Rover to do it so I agree Wrangler...But, Land Rovers were never really meant to do the wheeling that Jeeps are designed for, I mean sure Rovers are supposed to be able to blaze their own trail and what not, but they are expedition vehicles--which in my opinion entails more planning, and map reading, and overall a different approach to mud holes, whereas in my opinion Jeeps are just wheels with engines that were meant to barrel through anything in their path. I would say that a Defender 90 in the right hands could put a Jeep to the test, the Defender 110 is capable too but big, and the Discoverys are good but take more skill to manhandle off road due to the size and weight as already discussed.

That said, I would never pay the kind of money Jeep wants for their vehicles, and hell why would I, I practically bleed LR Green now..so the loyalty (read: ignorant bias lol) to Land Rover prevents me from admitting our weaknesses in public, therefore, 'this post never existed.' Go Disco Go!

Old 03-17-2006, 06:51 PM
Drifting

ORIGINAL: NHESS81

i think it is easier to get a Jeep to do extreme wheeling, than it is to mod out a Rover to do it so I agree Wrangler...But, Land Rovers were never really meant to do the wheeling that Jeeps are designed for, I mean sure Rovers are supposed to be able to blaze their own trail and what not, but they are expedition vehicles--which in my opinion entails more planning, and map reading, and overall a different approach to mud holes, whereas in my opinion Jeeps are just wheels with engines that were meant to barrel through anything in their path. I would say that a Defender 90 in the right hands could put a Jeep to the test, the Defender 110 is capable too but big, and the Discoverys are good but take more skill to manhandle off road due to the size and weight as already discussed.

That said, I would never pay the kind of money Jeep wants for their vehicles, and hell why would I, I practically bleed LR Green now..so the loyalty (read: ignorant bias lol) to Land Rover prevents me from admitting our weaknesses in public, therefore, 'this post never existed.' Go Disco Go!
LOL, understood. I paid 18k for my 2002 Wrangler X and probably had another 10k in it in mods. Long arm suspension, new axles, winch, trans/tcase/gears worked on, skids, etc etc etc.

While it was right at home crawling over Volkswagon sized rocks, at 45 mph over uneven terrain it was a little scary! even with the long arms. The wheelbase was just too short.

As far as $ for the vehicles. Compare a defender 90 and a wrangler unlimited rubicon. They're probably closest in size and wheelbase. The jeep is what? 1/3 the price? and it has a 4:1 tcase, D44 axles, better gears, plenty of motor, MTR's, . . . for the $ the rubicon unlimited gives you so much more than the defender BUT you don't have the "i own a d90" bragging rights.

just my .02. As far as a discovery, they're probably a closer match to a grand cherokee. V8, full time 4wd, similar weight, etc. I've owned both. the Grand has WAY more power, but just isn't quite as refined. Similar $ too.

it comes down to whatever you like. But it's difficult to compare a jeep to a LR on off road prowess. The LR is defenitely more at home for running washboard ruts at 50 mph. that's for sure.

Old 03-17-2006, 07:36 PM
4wd Low

The big problom I have with Jeeps is the price,you get NOTHING for the price tag,it has less options for comfort then a Yugo and less room also,if your into off roading big time then you buy a Rubicon a good used one starts a 15 grand and thats a soft top with soft doors unless you have the time,money and the room to work on a reg wrangler.

I go off roading alot with a F-150 and alot of the people that go with us have Jeeps,most have the Dana 30 or 35 axels and if your into off roading you should have a locker of some type,I have seen Dana 30's and 35's snap alot around here so your best bet is the 44 or up,and only the Rubicon has that and lockers installed,if you buy a jeep and have to add them it works out to about the same price you pay for a good used Rubicon.

I pull jeeps out alot,and tow a few that break axels, one of the reasons I use a truck,the other being as I said above I just cannot see spending 15 grand or more for somthing the the only option is a removable top and being ejected in an wreck,I just lost a buddy in one and he was wareing a seat belt and was still thrown out the Jeep in a low speed Head-on collision,what makes it worse is I am the Head CST here and had to see the site.

I am not saying a Reg TJ cannot go off road but if your doing some major off roading then you are going to want to mod it esp the axels,30 and 35's are ok for light stuff but not for major stuff,I have seen some ads for heavy 35's but so far no one I know is willing to take the chance one them being there about the same price as the 44's.

If thats all I did ya I would buy a Jeep easyer and cheaper to mod and fix by far but for a daily driver and road trips I like to be confortable,I like power windows and heated seats and top that off with a killer 4wd system and a vec that can take some punishment I'll stick to Rovers,I plan on using mine for off roading also,I figure if an unmodded F-150 ( I do have an ARB Airlocker on the rear) can do it a Disco can.

CrimeScene

Old 03-17-2006, 09:01 PM
Drifting

ya but you're comparing a land rover to a TJ . . . .apples and oranges.

if you want to compare rover to jeep, compare the discovery to the grand cherokee. The V8 in the jeep has WAY WAY WAY more power, just as comfortable, has a rear aluminum D44 rear, and 4low actually locks the center differential, has JUST as many options as the LR, and it's about the same price.

if you want to compare the TJ to a land rover, take into account the land rover costs more than twice as much new! it should have leather, heated seats, etc.

the wrangler is closer to a kia sportage in it's price class.

as far as the D30/35, ya they're weak, but as long s you look around you can find a TJ with a D44 rear axle. And i ran that D44/30 combo with 37" iroks with NO problems. I broke one 297 ujoint.

i'm not going to get into a which is better match. my ****** has a full floating dana 44with resplined dana 60 shafts, a front hp 44 with scout outers and alloy inners with a 305 V8 and 5.38's and i've never broken a thing. i'm not messin round with the new ride.

anyway, as far as options, my SD discovery doesn't have much more than my 18k dollar wrangler X did and it was probably twice as much new..

Old 03-18-2006, 03:17 AM
Rock Crawling

Thank you 2k2wraglerx I pulled him out like I said even though he was showing off in front of me and got stuck. It's not like me just to leave someone helpless even though I felt like it. so I agree with you I did the right thing and I feel pretty good about it just if I were to get stuck or a similar situtation I would want someone to help me out.

Old 03-18-2006, 10:26 AM
Drifting

absolutely. i've pulled out some pretty pompous idiots. and sometimes drunk people. although i try VERY hard to avoid that situation, i have trouble leaving anyone stranded on the trail.

Old 03-19-2006, 03:48 AM
Rock Crawling

absolutely.