Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling a boat

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 11:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Pulling a boat

Ok, Memorial day is fast approaching, and I found a good deal on an 18" runabout. Manual says nothing over 1650 without trailer brakes, and 5500 with brakes. I think the boat is about 3000lbs. Tongue weight is 200. Any thoughts?

I have new brakes (OEM) all the way around and flushed the lines with DOT4 fluid when the brakes were changed. I just re-built the front end and everything seems good. I was going topull it around the block a few timesto test, but I have a 90 mile ride to get it home. My new cats are getting installed tomorrow morningand I am going to get it at noon.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jason

Old 05-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Pulling a boat

Does the boat tow have brakes? If it doesn't I don't know if it's a good Idea. Are you going up steep grades and such or is it mostly level terrain? Really though I think if your just careful and give yourself plenty of stopping distanceyou'll be fine. You doing some fishin? I was thinking of doing some fly fishin myself this weekend. I just moved here to Colorado Springs last week and am anxious to get out and explore.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Camel Trophy

no brakes. I have been trying to research the boat, and I think it is a 17 foot. I figured if I gave myself plenty of room to stop I would be ok. I can replace the axle and put on brakes for about $500. Beats having to replace the Rover's every year. I towed a 26' tandem axle for years with my Suburban and had no troubles. I just wanted to make sure I could lug it around. I am used to following way back to stop.....

Not any fishing this weekend. The lady has no patience. We are meeting friends at a cove with a high cliff. For some reason girls tend to take their tops off before jumping. Weird, huh? My wife will not be participating in that one, but I don't think the fish will be biting there. They will be too drunk.

Any problems with the new cats so far? I am picking up my baby in a few hours and can't wait.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll be fine. It gets scary when the boat weighs more than the tow vehicle and it doesn't have brakes (Jeep Wrangler vs ski boat).

Next time get the pads/rotors that Disco Mike has and you won't have to replace them every year.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:46 AM
Camel Trophy

Yeah, when I got it, I was gung ho about getting things fixed. I just went to the dealer. I found this place later... My brakes are fine now, I just figured they wouldn't last long towing a boat for long periods without trailer brakes... When I got the truck, Midas had replaced the rotors and pads 10 months before. I was chewing metal within a week. I went back to them and tried to get some sort of warranty, even told them I was taking it in for the previous owner since the title had not been transferred. They said it was not covered and it was normal wear. Nice to know Midas brakes cost $700 and last less than a year....

I know what you mean on the weights. I pulled my last boat home with a Cherokee once. Scared the daylights out of me. I could have made diamonds...

Old 05-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well a place where the ladies take off there tops is always a good spot. No problems with the cats, just has a bit more throaty sound to it which doesn't bother me at all. Have a safe and fun trip! If we don't here back from ya we'll assume that towing the boat wasn't such a good idea afterall! ha ha (jk)