Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Push Button Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 10:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

I suppose one concern I might have is how would you bypass this if it failed now that the cylinder is removed?
Our Hyundai had keyless entry and push button but had a manual bypass if anything failed.
I'm just assuming that most other keyless entry/push button start cars have some sort of bypass for a worst case scenario.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:31 AM
TReK
Received 761 Likes on 629 Posts

i don't know of a bypass system on any push-button start car that i've driven.
but keyed ignitions don't typically have bypasses. why should there be one for a keyless system?

aside from hotwiring it, that is. which would basically be the emergency workaround if you add a keyless system. with the bonus that you wouldn't have to worry about the steering column lock.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by mollusc
i don't know of a bypass system on any push-button start car that i've driven.
but keyed ignitions don't typically have bypasses. why should there be one for a keyless system?

aside from hotwiring it, that is. which would basically be the emergency workaround if you add a keyless system. with the bonus that you wouldn't have to worry about the steering column lock.
Understood -
So after Googling - which I probably should of done to refresh my memory first - I found that what I'm thinking of is a key slot to use in the event your fob is dead or the car isnt picking it up by RFID.
You stick the fob in the slot then start the car.

In the case of the OP's push button system, if the ring doesnt pick up the chip for some reason, how do you get the car started??

Old 04-15-2019, 10:57 AM
TReK

i don't think the fob can be dead in this case. the rfid chip doesn't have a power source.
but your question is nonetheless relevant -- what if the antenna loop shifts and can't pick up the fob signal, for example.

i'd guess that what you do is hotwire it.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by mollusc
i don't think the fob can be dead in this case. the rfid chip doesn't have a power source.
but your question is nonetheless relevant -- what if the antenna loop shifts and can't pick up the fob signal, for example.

i'd guess that what you do is hotwire it.
Which, we can now learn to do with the wiring information above. And I echo that getting rid of the steering column lock is a plus. Hotwiring does no good if the steering is locked.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 401 Likes on 278 Posts

I looked up the install. Says to leave the key stub in the ignition. I did not like that part. unless you can pull it out in the 'on' or 'acc' pos......

This disengages the lock.

But I still like the idea....

Old 04-15-2019, 12:50 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by XRAD
I looked up the install. Says to leave the key stub in the ignition. I did not like that part. unless you can pull it out in the 'on' or 'acc' pos......

This disengages the lock.

But I still like the idea....
if you remove the entire lock barrel mechanism -- which you apparently have to do in order to get to the wiring -- doesn't that remove the steering lock as well?
sure you can keep the key stub in the ignition, but it's going to be sitting on the workbench not doing much...

Old 04-15-2019, 12:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

I wonder if this is like my BMW ignition where I can hit the start button without foot on brake to turn on the accessories like the radio.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
I wonder if this is like my BMW ignition where I can hit the start button without foot on brake to turn on the accessories like the radio.
Yes. Push the button once and it is in ACC mode.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

Cool! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Push Button Start