Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Put a deposit down today...want to check with you guys.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Put a deposit down today...want to check with you guys.

I put a down payment today on a used 2003 SE Oslo Blue at Chevy dealership. It has 48k, and looks like it has been well maintained, at least cosmetically. The service record books were in the car but are empty. The VIN # is salty 16403a817725. I believe that is out of oil pump defect range correct? Anyways, They were asking 11,975. I said 9k. They came back with 10,500. Still seems like a bit much to me but I wanted to check with you guys. My gut tells me I could drop it a tad lower if I request my deposit back and act ready to walk. Without seeing the truck yourself, what do you guys think is a good price?

Old 04-07-2009, 09:29 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

can you post the dealers site?

or pm it to me.

i will look at the pics

Old 04-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Three Wheeling

Why did you give them a deposit if you are still negotiating? Keep bargaining, they want to get rid of that truck and, if you come to an agreement, have the sale contingent on an inspection. Also, take the info to a Land Rover dealership and check for maintenance records. If it was a lease vehicle it may have been neglected.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've searched the forums for common issues right?
Also, you've searched the forum for buy 2003 and found the oil pump issue, right?

Old 04-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Three Wheeling

Ummm...isn't the point of a deposit to insure to the seller you are going to buy the vehicle? You shouldn't be able to get a deposit back, therefore your attempts to "request" it back will likely be futile. If you walk away the dealer is not required to give your deposit back unless ya'll had some pre-arranged agreement.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:50 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no no,,,

i have left deposits in the forms of a check to keep a dealer from selling while i take a few days to think things over and talk with insurance and make sure i am getting what i want.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

GO PAY TO GET THE TRUCK LOOKED AT!!!! I learned this the hard way back in December when I purchased a Disco that looked great inside and out. I drove it exactly 29 miles before the air bags deflated while I was going down the highway and when I got it home smoke was pouring out from underneath the hood and driver’s side door. I had it towed back the next morning and got my money back. I found another Disco from a private seller and armed with some questions I found on this sight was able to make a MUCH BETTER PURCHASE. There are a ton of folks out there right now that can't afford payments and are willing to let these things go at a tremendous loss rather than have the repo man looking for them. If you don't need a car RIGHT NOW keep looking, a dealer will not tell you anything about a used car. Oh, the dealer that I bought from apologized and said the truck should have never made it to their lot. Where do you think it was the next day?? Back on the lot with the same price in the window. Two weeks later the Disco caught fire on the lot after a test drive... no joke.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:17 AM
Three Wheeling

thank you for the responses....couple of things

yes you can put a fully refundable deposit down, which i did...

i have called LR Dealerships recently trying to obtain maintenance/service records on a vehicle prior to purchase and they refuse to release information to anyone other than the current owner...

dealerships in general arent very willing to let you take the truck offsite 30 miles to another dealership(LR) to have it inspected...their thinking, what is that dealership going to find that we cannot, that process seems to be more related to buying from a private party...

yet still no one really answered my question as to what makes sense price wise, assuming all is what it seems....
thanks

Old 04-08-2009, 06:19 AM
Three Wheeling

another question..

i know you will tend to pay more at an LR Dealership, but can you assume more peace of mind when you purchase a used vehicle directly from them?...

Old 04-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Rock Crawling

As a reference point, I purchased a 2003 SE a few months back with 59k and in cosmetically (and mechanically, seemingly) good shape from a private party. I paid just under $10k. A lot of people on this site have gotten better deals than that, but I don't worry too much about it. My only recommendation would be to make sure you really want this particular truck, b/c if you can find an '04 you can get further away from the oil pump issue (some have claimed that the range of bad VINs from LR doesn't cover all the bad motors) and you can get a lockable transfer case. I was OK with overlooking both those issues b/c I needed the truck quickly.

Quick Reply: Put a deposit down today...want to check with you guys.