Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about erasing codes and state inspection

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by threalassmikeg
They could in theory impound your truck for being unsafe
And I thought California Sucked! Well, they actually do, but they don't impound...

In California, if you don't complete the Drive Cycle, they will charge you the Fee for a Smog, and tell you to come back when all the systems have cycled so you can pay the fee again. My Code Scanner shows all the systems that have completed the checks and which have not. Once I get them all showing as tested, then I can go get smogged. Normally though, when you go through all the tests, then bad code will return because the issue still exists.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:19 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by threalassmikeg
Triar..

Your truck will NOT pass NH State inspection

1) You do not have sufficient brakes to pass safety (replace your brake booster)
2) The vacuum leak caused by the defective brake booster will not go away until
the brake booster is replaced.
3) P1171/1174 faults can be flagged due to vacuum leaks ie: faulty brake booster
Until you repair your brakes, I would not spend any more time trying to diagnose
your CEL. nor would I try to go through State Inspection. They could in theory
impound your truck for being unsafe

4) Here's the NH state inspection guidelines, I'd suggest you read and understand them.
http://65.82.88.69/Gordon-Darby_New_...shire.htm#_top

5) As far as your booster goes. Buy this one and be done with it.

RockAuto Parts Catalog

Cheers

Mike

Mike you know I always respect your opinions here but I know JiffyLube will pass my vehicle (in regards to the brakes) because I work their and I informed them about the new rotors/pads/calipers/master cylinder and new brake fluid i installed. He told me that he would not even bother removing the wheels to inspect the brakes then so all I have to worry about is the codes. He also informed me that NH stations can give you a "clear sticker" if your vehicle passes the safety portion of the inspection. The clear sticker gives you 60 days to get your emissions faults fixed and if done then you get the full colored sticker.

Now regarding impounding Im sure they probably would do that in many large cities and other places, but around here the police are much more leaniet about that sort of stuff and will let you off with a warning - so long as you have a fairly clean record and a good attitude towards the officer. Ive been pulled over without a inspection sticker and expired registration (on my former Saab 95) and the police let me off completely under the condition that I got the vehicle registered and inspection within 7 days (which I did).

Now regarding this aftermarket "REMAN" brake booster servo. What are your thoughts on it? Will a aftermarket booster hold up to the standards of the genuine? Im very skeptical about buying a cheap none genuine booster for my Rover BUT that for that price I could get the booster in afew weeks! I may just get it but what does everyone else here think about it? The price is $230 core charge included VS the genuine booster which sells for around $500.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,504 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Mike you know I always respect your opinions here but I know JiffyLube will pass my vehicle (in regards to the brakes) because I work their and I informed them about the new rotors/pads/calipers/master cylinder and new brake fluid i installed. He told me that he would not even bother removing the wheels to inspect the brakes then so all I have to worry about is the codes.

Always good to point out your employer by name for violating state law and safety regulations that could endanger your and others lives.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:44 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Always good to point out your employer by name for violating state law and safety regulations that could endanger your and others lives.

Would you like their phone number and address?
The logic is simple: Visually inspect the brakes and take note of how shiny and flawless they are, is a good indication of their condition. But then again in the state of New Hampshire all the inspector is required to do in checking the brakes is remove the wheels and measure the thickness of the brake pads and rotors. I was very honest with the manager about the brake work and parts I replaced on the truck and he trusts that, BUT I have no problem in wasting an extra 10 minutes so they can remove the wheels and verify that the brakes are indeed new. They dont actually actually test the vehicle outside to see how well the brakes hold up. And for the record I have enough braking power to bring a 3 ton SUV to a complete stop so I would not say Im without braking....

Thanks for the help though

Last edited by TRIARII; 02-12-2013 at 10:47 PM.