Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about our new sponsor

Old 05-22-2017, 10:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by WNYErikDiscoII
Send me an email, I have them in stock - erik@LK8parts.com
It's going to be a couple of weeks before the Mrs will approve more Rover Fund, but this and new shafts are what the order will be when she approves the budget!

The following users liked this post:
OffroadFrance (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 11:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Jeff, how'd you get the old ones out? I replace a set of leaf spring bushings with poly a few months ago. Took me 10 hrs with a plasma cutter, various sockets, press, hammer, air chisel, and half a dozen sawzall blades. Swore I'd never do bushings again without an oxy acetylene setup to burn them out.

Oh, I forgot the 5 ton jaw puller that I pulled the threads out of.
You need a real shop press to do that kind of a chassis labor. Like a 20-ton press that Harbor Freight sells for $175. I recently tried the 8-ton jack on a shop press & it didn't have enough nuts for anything. If you want to do bushings & bearings yourself, get a real piece of equipment. Afterward, you will hate yourself for a long time thinking about why you didn't just buy a big press for the hell of it. I'm actually looking to buy 1 now after dicking with some old GM control arms. I'm just going to set it up in my apartment dining room. My old lady is going to have a **** fit but that's why I bring it in before she gets home. Our lease is up in 2-months so I'm hoping this will drive her to find us something with a gawd damn shop. Or @ least a 2-car garage. She knows that I'm not doing any house hunting so maybe this will drive her lazy a$$ to do something resourceful for once. 20 ton shop press right in the front doorway: if this doesn't do it, nothing will.

Last edited by chubbs878; 05-23-2017 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:47 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbs878
You need a real shop press to do that kind of a chassis labor. Like a 20-ton press that Harbor Freight sells for $175. I recently tried the 8-ton jack on a shop press & it didn't have enough nuts for anything. If you want to do bushings & bearings yourself, get a real piece of equipment. Afterward, you will hate yourself for a long time thinking about why you didn't just buy a big press for the hell of it. I'm actually looking to buy 1 now after dicking with some old GM control arms. I'm just going to set it up in my apartment dining room. My old lady is going to have a **** fit but that's why I bring it in before she gets home. Our lease is up in 2-months so I'm hoping this will drive her to find us something with a gawd damn shop. Or @ least a 2-car garage. She knows that I'm not doing any house hunting so maybe this will drive her lazy a$$ to do something resourceful for once. 20 ton shop press right in the front doorway: if this doesn't do it, nothing will.
Chubbs, you are right. I replaced the bushes in my D2 radius arms, the gauge on my 20 ton press (30 ton gauge) read 27 tons before one bush finally moved but thankfully the rest went at between 15 to 20 tons. For awhile I thought I was stuffed as there is only one shop around here, SMAP at Pons, with a 40 ton press.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

there's a land rover toolbox video that suggests drilling out all the rubber first, then use a rotary tool or equivalent to cut the sleeve, then it *should* just pop out. Putting new ones in... yeah you'll need that 20 ton press. I paid a local shop $40 to put in the two bushings

I ALMOST managed to get a bushing installed myself using a spring compressor bolt (fit perfectly). Got about 70% done and gave up.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
Brit part makes a complete poly bush set. I picked it up for around 60 bucks from paddock. So far I've installed the radius arm and front sway bushings.
Jeff, IMO there's polyurethane and polyurethane and being I didn't want to do the job twice I stuck with the tried and tested Polybushes. Generally I don't have issues with Britpart these days, they've upped their game, but I generally use their kit for stuff that is easily replaced like Panhard rod bushes etc.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
there's a land rover toolbox video that suggests drilling out all the rubber first, then use a rotary tool or equivalent to cut the sleeve, then it *should* just pop out. Putting new ones in... yeah you'll need that 20 ton press. I paid a local shop $40 to put in the two bushings

I ALMOST managed to get a bushing installed myself using a spring compressor bolt (fit perfectly). Got about 70% done and gave up.
Yep, I've seen that vid using chain drilling. The easier way is using a rotary saw or diamond rotary saw in a drill press which only then leaves the external shell to cut out with a rotary grinder or saw. I used a reciprocating Bosch saw on someone else's elliptical spring Series 3 bushes.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:17 AM
Rock Crawling

That video is what got me on this kick. It should definitely tighten up the ride quality.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

I've done radius arm bushings before with nothing more than threaded rod, nuts sockets and heavy washers. I must have been lucky as hell

Old 05-25-2017, 08:32 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
I've done radius arm bushings before with nothing more than threaded rod, nuts sockets and heavy washers. I must have been lucky as hell
I think it depends on how stuck they are. I had two completely different experiences replacing bushings on my e30 BMWs. One car I was able to tap them out, the other one I had to buy a press.