Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about power steering & ACE Pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 04:20 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about power steering & ACE Pump replacement

I just bought a 99 Disco II with ACE.
The truck is in good condition, runs good, but needs some TLC and maintenance.

This is my first post and i've read quite a bit already about the issues the Series II Rovers have. I'm new to the Discos but not new to wrenching (I've been doing classic/muscle car restorations for about 20 years and this is my first british project) so let's get started:

I bought the truck knowing that the power steering did not work and the ACE pump had been removed (bypassed).

1.) PS Pump and hoses

The previous owner said the PS pump was bad and ACE had been removed. He said that when he puts PS fluid in the res it just leaks all over engine. It might just be bad hoses (I'll check) but I'm ready to replace it.

I'm assuming that the power steering pump replacement is straight forward and it's probably a good idea to go ahead and replace both hoses at the same time. Is there anything I need to be especially aware of when replacing the pump, any special PS pump manufacturer to stay away from (Pumps from Ebay, etc...etc..) or is it a straight forward swap ?

Where should I get the hoses or should I have them made locally ?

2.) ACE Pump.
The ACE pump is missing, which means I do not have a pulley if I buy one of the ACE pumps on Ebay...

- Where can I buy the ACE pump, ACE pump pulley, ACE pump hoses ?
- Are there any special instruction to bleed the air out of the system when installing the ACE pump ?
- I assume I have to buy a new serp belt since the one that's now on the car appears to be bypassing the ACE pump.
- Do I have to enable any feature or codes to make it work ?

Thanks for any advice

Mike
99 Disco II
North Texas

Last edited by logic2; 08-31-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:28 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Before you go very far with this, I would suggest you send me your number, so I can walk you thru where and what to buy. ACE will probably be a bear.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Be careful about buying new ACE hoses. They changed a connection on the one main hose, which means if you buy a new one you also need to buy the other hose which runs front to back. That brought the total to like $400 in hoses and a royal pain to do. My pumps was fine, but the main hose got a cut and that is the high pressure one. So, I bypassed the pump as well. That is on my 2000, which is likely going to be a parts truck. If you need a used pump they. Could be hard to find, so maybe I would part that out for you.
Also, you are correct, you need the different belt that is longer. As far as the power steering, check the connection and o rings. Mine started to leak and I changed that and was fine. Eventually replaced hoses too.