Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering pump LOUD, and Ace line damaged.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Power Steering pump LOUD, and Ace line damaged.

Hello,

roughly about a month ago my d2 was dropped off a jack while doing my oil pump gears. It damaged an ace line and sensor. The mechanic who did it, family "friend" fixed it on my dollar. Now while fixing it, he zip tied my power steering line (low pressure, reservoir to pump) and cut that. Well, three days ago steering pump line burst in my driveway, I turned the car off immediately. inspected the reservoir, air was sucked into the pump, and i checked the line, a ziptie was inside of it. Today I'm replaced the line (filled the line w/ fluid before installation) and started the car up to bleed the rest out. The noise was very loud, and I could see air in the reservoir. the noise was really loud, much louder than when it blew up, so im not sure if this is normal or not, whats the procedure for bleeding the power steering pump? I did instantly shut the motor off. I went to inspect all high pressure lines to make sure another leak was sprung somewhere and found my newly replaced ACE line, was cracked; the dbag who put it back in cut the rubber spacer in between lines and never replaced it. So the lines have been touching. I have to replace the ACE line immediately, and I was wondering, since LR doesn't sell the full line they sell it two parts, if i could put a high pressure Teflon coated line rated at a high psi instead of the original one, it'll cost less and its literally fire proof, no matter what way i go ill have to put a high pressure coupler on it anyway, but wondering if this is a no-no. also, for my power steering pump, i replaced the damn thing not two months ago, just before it was dropped off the jack, with a re-manufactured one, i only bought it because they had it at my Auto Zone with a lifetime warranty, could a pump go this fast? Im just not really in the mood to replace this pump again.

also, the ACE line, if i take the route (if suggested) to buy the braided high pressure line, is made by a hydraulic shop that makes lines for construction cranes and etc. everyone in vegas uses them. I think it will save me roughly 150$

any help is appreciated.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your remanded pump could definitely be bad this soon. I did one for a family friend and used a Reman from orileys and it went out a month later it, blew out the gasket. I went and replaced it under warranty and the pump I got was dead on arrival. We ended up getting the money back and buying a good pump. Good luck.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Damn, I hope that's not the case.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I'm going to lift the wheels off the ground and bleed it, when I turn the wheel it still turns the wheel just loud.

Last edited by Dane!; 11-08-2013 at 06:01 PM.