Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about transmission '03 DII

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 05:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Question about transmission '03 DII

Hey guys, I'm not sure if my trans. is going bad, needs a little work or adjustment, I don't know. Here's what's happening, it seems to work correctly when cold but, when it warms up a bit like say after 4 or 5 miles it doesn't seem to want to kick down to 3rd gear when starting up a hill or when you go to accellerate up from about 35 mph or higher unless I put the pedal down past half throttle, then it goes straight into 2nd. This is the first rover I have owned so, maybe it's normal but, it seems to really lug bad unless you really get on it.

Also, I did change the fluid but I did not do the filter at the same time because one of the little set blocks (or whatever you call them) that go around the pan to hold it on is broken in half and I didn't want to take the chance of taking it apart and not being able to get it back together but, I will change it as soon as I get a new one.

The fluid that came out wasn't burnt or too dark at all, looked like most transmissions I've done just for maint.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:05 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

How many miles on the truck, how often is the ATF changed and how much did you put in on your drain and refill?

Old 12-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle

136,500 miles on truck, I just bought it about a month ago but, it seems to be pretty well taken care of, dealer maintained right down to oil changes, truck was under warranty up to I believe they said 100,000 miles (???) I think that's what they said. Got about 5.5 quarts out put in the same plus a quart of lucas trans. fix hoping it may thicken up the fluid a bit because it seems to work fine until it gets up to full operating temp. Didn't make a difference, should I try the lucas conditioner?? Are there any electrical connections I should take a look at? Everything LOOKS okay but I didn't remove any connections to see if there was any corrosion, Should I?? Any help would be great, thank you very much.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Anyone, anyone at all? What should I do? Even if it's just a next step, what would you do?

Old 01-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I would try to change the fluid again and filter too. Then you will have more new fluid and the filter done. I probably wouldn’t put the Lucas back in until I did the fluid again and see how it operates. I'm not saying anything bad about Lucas, I just think I would start fresh. Then it would be more work, but you could add Lucas product later to see if it helps after getting more old fluid out.

I have noticed my Disco's transmission shifts differently than other vehicles I've owned before. It seems to shift quickly thru the gears under light to normal acceleration (At least more so than my Expedition or the Grand Cherokee that the Disco replaced.

I also really like synthetic for transmissions because of the heat transmissions create. Several snowplow guys swear by it in their trucks and feel it has saved them rebuilds on their trucks.

Good luck on your trans. I intend to change mine in the spring or sooner. 74k on my 03.

Scott

Old 01-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by disc oh no
Anyone, anyone at all? What should I do? Even if it's just a next step, what would you do?
Send me your number and I'll call you.