Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for anyone who has installed OME springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 07:52 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Question for anyone who has installed OME springs

I was ordering some parts from Rovers North the other day and noticed that in the Clearence section for Discovery 2's they had a set of front end OME HD springs. Upgrading the springs and shocks prior to a new bumpers has been on my list and do to the current economy will probably aquire the parts over a period of time then one big paymet for the parts. There is a small savings to buying a kit with everything but you've got have the dough as they say. My wife will freak out less over a few purchases over a few months then one big one.

Anyway the spring descriptionsaid they were previously installed so I called them up to ask what that meant and they said that basically they had been sold and installed but the buyer decided on medium ones so they swapped them out. He assured me they were as new but could not be sold that way. The savings was about 20.00 lower for each so I ordered them.

They arrived and when I pulled them out of the box to inpect them they do look new with the paint only dinged a little where at the ends that came in contact with the chasis. But when I lay them side by side one ring is about 1.5 inches taller then the other. Is this normal? There is no kind of item number on these, just a stocking tag from Rovers North. I thought I would ask here before calling them.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Question for anyone who has installed OME springs

No this is not normal, call and return them. By the way, which OME, by part number , did they send you and what did you pay for them?

Old 02-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have gotten stuff in strange "new"condition from Rovers North... just a little banged up... which normally isn't horrible, but for main bearings, was an issue....

Old 02-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Order from Roverparts. I never liked Rovernorth too much.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There should be a .5" difference between right and left springs. Maybe they sent you a medium and HD spring. Not having a part number stamped on the spring is another reason why I didn't go with OME coils.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is the final outcome.

The guy at Rovers North told me not to worry that springs are always different heights but what is important and they are tested for is the height under a certain pressure or weight. He said if the truck is unlevel after a spring change out I may need OME shims to level it out at $13 a piece. This sounded a little supspect to me. I went out the garage to examine them again and found that one spring, the shorter one, had a factory sticker on it that sais OME777. I did a little searching on the Internet and every site said that model is the Medium duty front spring for the DiscoII

S, I called back to tell them the problem and a guy named Rob tried to convince me that in thier catalog that is a HD spring and what everyone else calls a OME779 is actually a Expedition model. Then he began to question me about what I was looking for in a spring upgrade and I told him I was going to change out the bumper with an ARB or similar and a similar winch and he said there was no way I should go with the HD springs and thatthe ride would be horrible. I finally insisted he give me my money back so they agreed but will not pay the return shipping because they feel it was not listed incorrectly in their catalog. I've packaged them up and they are going back today!

What a rip!