Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question-Going to buy a Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 09:04 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question-Going to buy a Disco II

Hey guys and gals. My name is Jack and I am looking to join the LR world, coming from the Jeep world. I love Jeeps still but after building six of them, I wanted to try something else and have always loved the Disco II.

I am looking at an 04 LR Disco II SE w/ 73k miles. I plan on having a LR guy looking at it before I buy it. My question is, does anyone know a reputable mechanic in the Fort Worth, TX area that I could get to look at it?

This thing looks really clean but I do not know much about LR. The head liner is starting to sag in some places (that seems to be a common issue from what I have read). And the front seat has some wear on the leather, but it is 10 years old.

If this was a Jeep, I would feel comfortable buying it. But I have only been looking at these/reading about them for the last month or so.

Thanks,

Jack

Old 02-17-2015, 09:47 AM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to the wonderful world of land rovers, you have come to the right place for good friendly advice.

You're certainly on the right track in looking at a low mileage rover as they certainly have a lot of known issues with age. Getting it checked out by someone who works and knows older rovers on a regular basis is worth every penny and may help you plan for future required maintenance or part replacements based on what he can see.

Some valid questions or preliminary question to ask or find out about is if some of the following has been done:

Water pump
Rad
Thermostat
Coolant hoses
Fan clutch
Front drive shaft
Condition of rear rotoflex
Oil pump
Timing chain and gears
Head gaskets

It's not to say that every rover this age would need all this done yet but certainly something on the horizon that will come up if it hasn't yet.

Best of luck

The following users liked this post:
JDison (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 09:55 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

If it has been well cared for you may be in luck. I'd want to see the entire service history. Make sure it does not tick when warm. Try to find out if it has overheated. If you do buy it service the cooling system first. Overheating is catastrophic. If it has overheated pass.

If you are really mechanical find one that has been salvaged for mechanical reasons, likely head gasket, and buy a long block with iron flanged liners, performance cams and gas flowed headers. That way you can run Rotella from the get go, have a much more capable and reliable engine.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
JDison (02-17-2015)