Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Removal of D2 Panel Parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 12:43 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

SkymonkeyONE,

Ah! Misery loves company! So there is at least one person on the forum with the same issue. Thanks I might get mine from Rovers North. My local dealer wants $125 for it. Although with shipping it will probably end up the same. Was it easy to re-install?

Old 03-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I found my replacement from someone that was parting out a discovery II. He sold it to me for $25, but that was after searching for 3 months and driving around without it the whole time. Check out the classifieds and ebay for some being parted out, and you might get lucky. I just refused to pay over $100 for something that flimsy I was just gonna break with another limb.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:15 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

OK. The lower sill black plastic moldings are attached to the vehicle via plastic plugs. There are 8 of them in total per side (right side and left side).
You will need some sort of panel plug removal tool (something that looks like a nail remover, e.g., like the back of a hammer).

Remove black plastic plugs one at a time. Using your prying tool, lift the body of the plastic plug and with a screw driver remove the center piece. Pull out the center piece of the plug and then pull out the retaining piece. Do for each plug.

If you do this carefully, you will probably be able to re-use the plastic plugs like I did. When I re-installed the plastic rocker panel, I inserted a piece of rubber (I used a bicycle rubber tire interior) between the car body and the rocker panel and then re-installed each plastic plug.

The rocker panel is now snug and secure. Test it by shaking the rocker panel. No more noise!!!

Thanks for everyone's help

Regards

Al G

Old 03-28-2013, 09:14 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any Autozone or similar parts store sells replacement "plastic rivets" for replacing the ones you break when you are replacing those trim parts. I paid two bucks a pack for generic ones. Larger hardware stores such as Lowes and Home Depot carry a MUCH better size variety.

Here's a tip for installing the A-pillar finisher: hold it up with the backside (door jamb side) as lined up as you can, then pull the "windshield side" up and over the metal lip on the A-pillar all at one time. If you start at the top or bottom only you are likely to miss the lip with the metal clips and then you will be cussing yourself as you have the thing 2/3 clipped and have to pry the thing back off. Another thing: my replacement part came in a sort of semi-gloss/ matte finish and the one on my other pillar is gloss black. I made my new part glossier with some Maguiers "back to black".