Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front and rear bumper trimming/rocker panel plastic removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front and rear bumper trimming/rocker panel plastic removal

anyone done this or anything like it? my plans are to trim the lower corners below the fog lights off of each side of the front bumper (only reason being that's the most common rub spot), remove the plastics from the rocker panels, and trim the corners of the rear bumper that hang down. the red line in the pictures will probably explain it better. haha has anyone done this or anything like it? i personally think it will look a lot cleaner and it will also have less plastic to break in the woods.. plus i just dont like having all the plastic

positive feedback only please..

Last edited by frat daddy; 07-18-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Overlanding

btw the trim on the doors has been removed... the pic was taken when i was in the process. thats why the front piece is sticking out

Old 07-19-2011, 12:07 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For DI guys, trimming the front bumper is very common, so you might see more examples if you search there.

I've never seen the area below the doors trimmed, as there isn't a whole lot of room to trim, plus it seems that if you trim there, you would lose your splash guard, and you'd have issues with wet roads kicking up water inside. Maybe I'm way off. I've got rock sliders and they are great, they work great and offer a step for the wife.

The only time I've seen the rear quarters trimmed is when a steel bumper (Like a Greg Davis or Rovertym) is added.

I say more power to you, just measure twice, cut once

Old 07-19-2011, 12:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I would say trimming the rear bumper lower section would be a good idea. You might want to buy a Dremel MultiMax. Great plunge oscillating tool. It will cut plastic cleanly.
I have one and have used it a ton of times, for car projects.
Trimming the rear fender would be a good idea. But you may want to consider a steel wrap bumper to protect lower fender.
I would skip trimming the plastic sides. Save your money for steel sliders.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:42 AM
Mudding
Default GO for it

The plastic sides are just trim pieces and easily removable with screws, so go for it! I removed mine when I got my rock sliders. If you don't like it, just hang on to the mounting hardware so you can reinstall them. In fact, I still have mine in the garage, just in case...

Old 07-19-2011, 08:50 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

when my truck was nearly stock i had trimmed the front bumper. i used a sharpened soldering tip. the rear bumper you can trim and the rear quarter panels you can trim (to make it a straight line). the door sills you can remove the plastic trim but i wouldnt cut the metal there.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Overlanding

that was my plan... i will only trim the front and real bumper. i will just remove the plastics under the doors until i can afford some sliders. is there not a rocker panel under them??

Old 07-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
when my truck was nearly stock i had trimmed the front bumper. i used a sharpened soldering tip. the rear bumper you can trim and the rear quarter panels you can trim (to make it a straight line). the door sills you can remove the plastic trim but i wouldnt cut the metal there.

thats the exact look I'm going for on the front bumper.. that also eliminates the common rub spot for front tires too correct?

Old 07-19-2011, 01:38 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

yes there is a rocker panel. i have the plastic still on, that way when i hear the crunch i know im close to destroying things i don't want to destroy. yes the trimming helps the approach angle.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Overlanding

i just pulled the small plastic piece off the bottom of the rear quarter... i think i will use the cut and fold method to trim it to form the straight line. assuming i do it correctly, it should look like everything came from the factory that way