Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about DIY engine removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 04:03 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Questions about DIY engine removal

Im using this video as a reference point for removing the Turner engine from my grey truck. In the video they removed everyone on the top end. Upper intake plenum, sensors, throttle body etc. I think they were diagnosing the heads prior to making the video. So anyways, Im wondering if its necessary to remove all the top end **** prior to pulling the engine. I prefer to keep everything in tact. Just need to pull the engine and store on a pallet for transport. Wont have time to tear whole engine apart right now. Thoughts?

Also what is best course of action for removing transmission and transfer case? Im keeping all 3 so Im just looking for the easiest way to get it all pulled.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

Sixpack would know the answer to this I’m sure

i think you have to take take off the upper IM but you can leave the rest. Tranny and TC probably come out the bottom

Old 05-30-2018, 05:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

If you are saving all three, engine -trans and transfercase...pull it as one unit.

Remove motor mounts, trans mounts, y-pipe and everything else that needs to come undone...and pull. The truck is junk, right, so take a Sawzall and cut the front radiator support out (bumpers all ready off l believe) and pull it out the front. This way, you aren't messing with bell-housing bolts, convertor, etc, etc. The whole unit isn't that heavy, even complete.

Brian.

The following users liked this post:
shanechevelle (06-01-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 05:24 PM
Camel Trophy

It will end up looking like this.

Much easier doing this way. Just Sawzall anything that gets in your way. Crossmembers underneath, radiator support, exhaust (if you don't want to save), parking brake cable, etc, etc.

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 05-30-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:45 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by The Deputy
It will end up looking like this.

Much easier doing this way. Just Sawzall anything that gets in your way. Crossmembers underneath, radiator support, exhaust (if you don't want to save), parking brake cable, etc, etc.

Brian.

THANK YOU! You rock 😆
I was actually wondering about that. Taking the whole thing out as one unit. Yeah the radiator, fan, hoses, front bumper and sai system have all been removed and yes the truck is junk. But keep in mind Ive NEVER done anything of this magnitude before so I still may need some additional instructions.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

You can leave the IM on. Remove the motor mounts, lower the engine to remove the upper bell housing bolts and it will come out. Need to remove the fan to give some room to move it forward. Not sure about leaving the tranny and xfer case on. Might be clumsy unless like mentioned above you open up the front of the truck to gain access.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:11 PM
Camel Trophy

When l'm removing an engine or entire unit...usually start by disconnecting the battery and then head underneath.

Get the cross member(s) out, y-pipe/muffler next, cut trans mounts or unbolt, unbolt motor mounts, remove driveshafts, remove parking brake cable, cut all electrical connections, etc.

Once all of that stuff is handled...l start draining fluids (anti-freeze, oil, trans and transfercase). See folks all the time...start draining fluids first...and then they get dripped on the whole time they are removing stuff underneath.

While fluids are draining...l start unbolting accessories (ps pump-bracket, a/c compressor, alternator, etc). I like to remove the exhaust manifolds, yes, takes longer...but gives you more wiggle room. Then take the Sawzall and cut anything and everything that needs to be out of the way to remove.

You'll probably need an engine hoist and floor jack to remove entire unit...relocating lift chains and jack under trans as it moves forward in the chassis.

Brian.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:23 AM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by Saturnine
Sixpack would know the answer to this I’m sure

i think you have to take take off the upper IM but you can leave the rest. Tranny and TC probably come out the bottom
I prefer your idea of just setting it on fire and being done with it.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:32 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

I'll bring smores makings

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
I prefer your idea of just setting it on fire and being done with it.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 03:05 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by The Deputy
When l'm removing an engine or entire unit...usually start by disconnecting the battery and then head underneath.

Get the cross member(s) out, y-pipe/muffler next, cut trans mounts or unbolt, unbolt motor mounts, remove driveshafts, remove parking brake cable, cut all electrical connections, etc.

Once all of that stuff is handled...l start draining fluids (anti-freeze, oil, trans and transfercase). See folks all the time...start draining fluids first...and then they get dripped on the whole time they are removing stuff underneath.

While fluids are draining...l start unbolting accessories (ps pump-bracket, a/c compressor, alternator, etc). I like to remove the exhaust manifolds, yes, takes longer...but gives you more wiggle room. Then take the Sawzall and cut anything and everything that needs to be out of the way to remove.

You'll probably need an engine hoist and floor jack to remove entire unit...relocating lift chains and jack under trans as it moves forward in the chassis.

Brian.

Thanks so much man. I owe ya! Yeah I found a place to park the truck. The owner of the property has blocks and a engine hoist that Ill have access to when the time comes. So this should be interesting. With all the parts I already pulled and swapped over to my new truck, it really should not be too difficult to pull the engine, transmission and tc.

Quick Reply: Questions about DIY engine removal