Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about DIY engine removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 01:10 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
When l'm removing an engine or entire unit...usually start by disconnecting the battery and then head underneath.

Get the cross member(s) out, y-pipe/muffler next, cut trans mounts or unbolt, unbolt motor mounts, remove driveshafts, remove parking brake cable, cut all electrical connections, etc.

Once all of that stuff is handled...l start draining fluids (anti-freeze, oil, trans and transfercase). See folks all the time...start draining fluids first...and then they get dripped on the whole time they are removing stuff underneath.

While fluids are draining...l start unbolting accessories (ps pump-bracket, a/c compressor, alternator, etc). I like to remove the exhaust manifolds, yes, takes longer...but gives you more wiggle room. Then take the Sawzall and cut anything and everything that needs to be out of the way to remove.

You'll probably need an engine hoist and floor jack to remove entire unit...relocating lift chains and jack under trans as it moves forward in the chassis.

Brian.
how do I disconnect the e-brake cable from the drum?

Old 06-16-2018, 04:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

You can either remove it from inside, by pulling window switch plate and gaining access through there to disconnect, disconnect and pull down through floor...or remove driveshaft and then parking brake drum and gain access through there, once drum is off...it's kind of self explanatory.

Brian.