Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick oil question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 08:35 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Here is the study that he is referring to.
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html
I run either a Wix or Purolator oil filter and I am very pleased with them.
And they only cost $5.

The Mobil1 and K&N oil filters are no better than a Wix or Purolator oil filter, all you are doing is paying for the name.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:04 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by oysterhead
thanks for the heads up. i just searched around the web and there are some SERIOUS fans of this oil. supposedly, Wal-Mart carries 1-gallon jugs for about $19. For the price, this might be my oil of choice.

during the search, i found that some people are stocking up on this stuff because soon it will be "CJ spec". What is CJ spec, and what's so damn bad about it?
What this means is that the EPA is once again going to reduce the amount of anit-wear additives that they can put into motor oil.
The anti-wear additives, like ZDDP, is bad for a cars emissions system, it reduces the effectiveness of catalytic converters over time.
There is a fine line between what is good for your engine and bad for the environment.
Go to www.bobistheoilguy.com and you can spend days reading up on motor oil and the additives that are in it.
For our type of engine, that is a push rod engine with a single cam, ZDDP is very important.
Basically if it says "energy conserving" on the bottle somewhere it has a reduced amount of anti-wear additives.
The Modil 1 Extended Performance oil line has some of the highest levels of ZDDP.
You need lots of anti-wear additives to last 15,000 miles.
Keep in mind that motor oil does not wear out, it is the additives that do.
Motor oil gets loaded with dirt and the additives wear out.
Distill the used oil and put the additives back in and it is as good as new.
Oil has a infinite life span.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:30 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Spike,
When you get bored, here is some interesting reading on all the oil filter brands, both good and not so good information on all our favorite filters.
Make sure to read thru the full comparison pages.
Take care.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:31 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Like spike said the Rotela is a "diesel oil" but is still rated for gasoline engines but it has high concentrations of zinc and phosphorous (ZDDP) which is good especially for our engines. The epa has forced oil makers to reduce zinc levels but that is only for a specific rating. If an oil manufacturer does not care about that rating then they can put as much ZDDP in as they want. There are some oils with some crazy levels of ZDDP and moly. I've heard people say Rotella has been reduced in ZDDP but I'm sure it will still be high because it is first and foremost a diesel rated oil.

Mobil 1 15W-50 oil has very high levels of ZDDP over 1200 ppm which is the highest levels you will find in say walmart or autozone. Only race oils and Redline and maybe amsoil have higher levels in an oil that can be used in a Disco. The mobile EP have higher levels too. Here is the specs on mobil 1 oils:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Mot...duct_Guide.pdf

Also be aware high levels of metals like Zinc can foul catalyst surfaces like those found in your Cats.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Spike,
When you get bored, here is some interesting reading on all the oil filter brands, both good and not so good information on all our favorite filters.
Make sure to read thru the full comparison pages.
Take care.
Mike-that is the same page that I posted, I have read it top to bottom and all of the links more than once.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Administrator

So it is, missed that, so what did you think about his recommendations? I realize he has both good and bad to say about some of the filters we have been discussing, thought is made for good reading though.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:45 AM
TReK

Here are their opinions and recommendations:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil.../opinions.html

I like that they try to set forth that this is a study not a test though many people use this study as absolute proof.

Warning!

These pages are NOT to be taken as gospel. The primary motivation behind this study was to provide information about what oil filter brands are made by which manufacturers. The secondary motivation was to uncover some of the obvious internal construction issues of these manufacturers. This "study" is not a "test".

Old 09-13-2009, 09:48 AM
Team Owner

It does make some good reading when you are sitting around with nothing to do.

Here is what I think about his recommendations...why spend $15 on a K&N oil filter (one of his recommended) when a $5 Wix (also recommended) work's just as well?

Old 09-13-2009, 09:52 AM
TReK
Wink

Well they look like they work just as well. They don't actually hook up any of the filters to a test apparatus. It is good reading and does offer some good information like K&N and mobil 1 filters are the same and napa gold and silver are made by wix (though it says it on the napa box). It also offers some good bait for the fanboys out there.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Spike555
It does make some good reading when you are sitting around with nothing to do.

Here is what I think about his recommendations...why spend $15 on a K&N oil filter (one of his recommended) when a $5 Wix (also recommended) work's just as well?
Up until my last filter, I was paying $9.95 for either, last filter I got for free when buying my Mobil 1 on their yearly special of 5 quarts and a filter for $24.00.

Yes, I did read that both the K&N and Mobil1 filter are more expensive, but it was also noted that they have a better inner design, thicker case, synthetic material instead of paper for better filtering and on the average more square inches of filter media but because they were better in that respect, he would still not buy them instead look at a Wix or Purulator filter for $5 or $6 both for being"the better of the cheaper filters.
One of the Purulator filters was rated very high with a higher flow rate but not as good at pulling smaller material and their top line which has more paper and pleats was prone to plug up because the pleats were to close together, causing it to plug up like a solid block of filter media and needing to by-pass.
I agree, the Wix and one Purulator are good filters, especial when considering the price. I still will stay my either the K&N or Mobil 1 for their ability to filter smaller particulates.
Maybe we can agree to disagree on this one and mention both when people ask and let them pick.

Quick Reply: Quick oil question