Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick SAI Debate

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 02:27 PM
Mudding
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Quick SAI Debate

I have my intake off right now to relocate my coils. I was just going to put the SAI tube back in by the firewall, when I diverted to installing the new rear rotors. I'm going back together tomorrow with or without SAI. So there's the question. As I moved the SAI valves away from the studs in the intake, I loosened the big connectors on the tubes that screw into the heads. It appears that all of them want to unscrew from the heads, so now is a golden opportunity.
I DO NOT HAVE SMOG TESTING. Is there a righteous reason to keep it?
What are the downsides to eliminating it?
Does anyone know offhand what size brass plugs it would take to plug those holes in the heads? Are they metric?
Thank you for quick responses in advance.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

I "thought" you would have to replace the ECU with a non SIA if you removed otherwise you would get a tone of codes.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:24 PM
Mudding
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

You will get codes and a SES light.....other than that if you dont have to pass emissions you can do it and it will run fine. Just keep all the parts because if you ever sell it you are gonna want it to be emission ready. Personally Ild leave it if its working properly.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

I'd just keep the SAI in place -- doesn't take much to make sure its running right. I hate lights on my dash

Old 01-21-2019, 02:28 PM
Mudding
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks guys. I left it in place. New coil relocation bracket in place and passenger bank plugs and wires installed. Old plugs were Bosch four pronged critters with probably .025 or less gap. Someone before me put Beck Arnley rubber valve cover gaskets, so I snagged them a bit and moved on. I'll be ready to jack up the front yet today for the front lift, tie rod end and new rotors and pads. No rush as I have no pads yet. I saw UPS go by the house, but everything delivers to my office, so it will be tomorrow. Rear rotors are on. 1/8" bleeder for my inline thermostat mod will be here tomorrow as well. I'll be back to just an hour or so in the evening, but it helps me maintain my sanity! I could never make a living doing this-too damn meticulous. Anti seize on every bolt, zip tie wires so they don't rub anything, wiping off tools, cleaning, reading, thinking, studying, its definitely a not for profit endeavor!