Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick SVS repair question

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 02:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Quick SVS repair question

I was doing the shuttle SVS repair and had to abandon because I rounded off the center 4mm hex screw enough to where I can't get it off without at least undoing the brake lines and flipping it over for better access. If I undo the brake lines, will all I need to do after is a 4 wheel brake bleed, or is it a more involved bleeding process? Also, thinking of going to the local pull a part where they have an 02 disco and taking that SVS plate for a spare just in case something breaks. Thanks.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Best practice is to bleed it with a computer, after bleeding it by hand. You can get by bleeding it by hand and then making the modulator do some work, bleeding it again, but there is no assurance that you'll get all four circuits to work so there still might be a little air somewhere.

Both times I've done this repair, I removed the modulator. It's too much work trying to do it in place.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:11 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by jafir
Best practice is to bleed it with a computer, after bleeding it by hand. You can get by bleeding it by hand and then making the modulator do some work, bleeding it again, but there is no assurance that you'll get all four circuits to work so there still might be a little air somewhere.

Both times I've done this repair, I removed the modulator. It's too much work trying to do it in place.
Ok, so this computer bleed needs to to be done by an indy or dealer I assume? Is this an expensive bleed or is it what they normally charge for a bleed? Strapped for cash student, so trying to schedule around big repairs. Also, my modulator makes a faint hum type sound that I can hear when I put my ear up to it. It does this even while the car is off and has been sitting for awhile. Is this normal? Thanks

Old 01-27-2013, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Yes or someone with a hawkeye or nanocom or similar. I think you'll be fine waiting though. The way I did it manually, before the hawkeye software support bleeding, was to bleed at the lines coming into the modulator, then bleed at the lines coming out, and finally bleed at each wheel.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MC04DII
Also, my modulator makes a faint hum type sound that I can hear when I put my ear up to it. It does this even while the car is off and has been sitting for awhile. Is this normal? Thanks
I just noticed the other day that mine also makes noise, tick/hum, with key out. Someone on these forums said they make noise for about 10 minutes after key is out, then it shuts off. I have not timed mine yet to see, but I can confirm the noise with key out.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:00 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

as Jafir said you can bleed it manually just take one section at a time and bleed it at every connection.
A hawkeye or other tool would make it a lot more enjoyable, but is not nessasary.
old sckool style "pump it hold it down. pump it up hold it down"

Last edited by drowssap; 01-28-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Rock Crawling

Well did the repair, and a manual bleed. Took it out and tested the TC and HDC. Works like a charm and no lights! Great repair!