Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quintessential DII Alarm issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Quintessential DII Alarm issue?

So I just had a load of work done on the Rover (head gaskets, pump replacements, tune up, etc.) and the battery was disconnected for over 3 weeks. When the battery was reconnected the alarm worked perfectly, the locks worked with the key fob and all was well in the world. This was approximately a month ago. Everything worked for about a month. Today at work I heard an annoying car alarm going off in the distance causing me to mutter under my breath as I was trying to concentrate on a new task. Little did I know that the annoyance was my DII until a colleague came in and told me that all lights were flashing, the horn was honking and that my Rover was possessed in the parking lot. It was a VERY windy day but the Rover was locked up, no windows down, etc. as it's cold here. I walked out, unlocked the vehicle with the fob, the horn stopped and the lights stopped flashing. The red alarm light was still blinking inside. I started up the Rover, let it run and turned it off. Afterward I tried locking the doors with the fob and it wouldn't work. I have to manually lock the driver side door now with the key and when I do so the Rover honks as if the alarm is being engaged but the light DOES NOT light up on the dash. Coincidentally, the interior light in the backseat doesn't dim when the ignition is started and I now drive around with a glow on in the vehicle for approximately 15 minutes until it decides to go out (default?). I know that there are a lot of issues out there with alarms and locking systems, and realize that this is typical of Rovers but does anyone have any idea how I can start to troubleshoot this? I ended up shoving a piece of paper up into the light switch to turn it off permanently so I don't have to ride around with a night light. I didn't see this scenario on the forum already. I should add that this has been an ongoing pain in my side for the past five years as half the year the fob works and the other half it doesn't. I figured that the disconnection of the battery reset a default and that is why the alarm worked again after the head gasket job. I have never experienced the alarm going off by itself though prior to today. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 12-06-2013, 05:42 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

with my truck if i lock it with the key and get one honk, it means a door is not closed all the way usually the rear door.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by drowssap
with my truck if i lock it with the key and get one honk, it means a door is not closed all the way usually the rear door.

Yeah, that happens with my vehicle too but this is different. Checked all the doors, everything is tight as a button. Thanks for the suggestion though. It's got to be connected to the reset of the alarm due to the battery having been disconnected and then reconnected. This has happened before - it's just maddening and puzzling. I'm a person that has to know 'why' and it will eat away at me if I don't figure it out...

Old 12-06-2013, 07:44 AM
Baja

were you holding down the hood switch when you installed the new battery? I have never had the problem myself but i do see that coming up in a alarm/ battery replacement issues.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 212 Likes on 139 Posts

How does the vehicle know a door is shut all the way? I assume there is a switch of some sort in the jamb? Perhaps you have a faulty one.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle

were you holding down the hood switch when you installed the new battery? I have never had the problem myself but i do see that coming up in a alarm/ battery replacement issues.

Yes, good point. I was holding down the alarm switch when we reconnected the battery. I'll have to research this some more, thanks. Wonder why it would make a difference? Very interesting..

Old 12-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by zski128
How does the vehicle know a door is shut all the way? I assume there is a switch of some sort in the jamb? Perhaps you have a faulty one.

Could be. I did notice, however, that if I try to lock the vehicle with the fob the horn sounds but the door doesn't lock. Then if I manually lock it with the key the horn doesn't sound. It only sounds once - whether it be when I lock the door with the key (without using the fob) or by trying the fob and then locking the door with the key. Only one horn honk each time. ALSO.. the backseat passenger door will not lock now as well as the light staying on in the backseat. The thing is possessed.. I'm sure of it..

On the positive side of things (there's always a silver lining) I love driving this vehicle - it is such a smooth ride after the repairs, I guess I can deal with little annoying locking issues. It's just puzzling, that's all. I'm sure it will go back to working correctly in six months time..

Old 12-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Baja

i sure a best person than me will come along and help you out, good luck

Old 12-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle

i sure a best person than me will come along and help you out, good luck

I appreciate the troubleshooting - I truly do.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Ok, so it does have something to do with the battery. I disconnected the battery to replace the throttle body heater gasket and when reconnected the alarm works again!

Quick Reply: Quintessential DII Alarm issue?