Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R-N-D clunk...cure?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: R-N-D clunk...cure?

I only hear the clunk when I off road and put the transmission in park on a slope or hill. This only happens when I am in low range. I don't think it is a problem unless it happened regularly and violently.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 08-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Drifting

also in my 96 disco there are no lights that illuminate the shifting area so when im out at night and have to shift gears i have to turn on a light to see the P=R-N-D although i kinda have it memorized lol

Old 08-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: Switzer

I only hear the clunk when I off road and put the transmission in park on a slope or hill. This only happens when I am in low range. I don't think it is a problem unless it happened regularly and violently.

Cheers,

Pete
You never want to use the parking gear to hold your trk on a steep hill. Always set the parking brake first and then shift into park, otherwise you will strip your "P" gear and find your trk wasnt where you last left it one day after work.
Same thing when parking with a heavy load, like a trailer ot something. And I dont care what anybody else says, that it just a big $ repair waiting to happen.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Team Owner

ORIGINAL: Jerover

also in my 96 disco there are no lights that illuminate the shifting area so when im out at night and have to shift gears i have to turn on a light to see the P=R-N-D although i kinda have it memorized lol
There are two little light bulbs that go on either side. On the back of the "P R N" indicator (towards the console) are two little tabs that you push in with a small screwdriver, then the cover lifts off and the bulbs are right there. For $3 and 30min you can have the lights fixed.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:33 PM
Drifting

ORIGINAL: Spike555

ORIGINAL: Jerover

There are two little light bulbs that go on either side. On the back of the "P R N" indicator (towards the console) are two little tabs that you push in with a small screwdriver, then the cover lifts off and the bulbs are right there. For $3 and 30min you can have the lights fixed.
what kind of bulb and where do i get it?

Old 08-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Team Owner

You can get them at AutoZone. Pop the old ones out and take them with you. They are the small push in type, light dash or HVAC light bulbs.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:43 PM
Rock Crawling

I wish site stated better what replacement bulb names are . hell, in my manual, it only says the volt and wattage. I have just 3 more push button lights to figure our how to fix.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:34 AM
Rock Crawling

Ok everybody, I have been waiting for the forum to be fixed so that I could post this...
Just like every other Land Rover in the world when I shift from "R" to "D" I get a "clunk" in the driveline. Same thing if I go the otherway, "D" to "R".
So I tried this a couple of weeks ago, I pause in "N" for 5 seconds before switching gears, no clunk. Gone. Zero.
I dont know if the engine is still turning to fast for the gear change and the pause allows it to slow down first or what, but it works.
So if you had the same noise it might be worth trying.
Hmm..I don't know anything about auto trans and try not to even buy vehicles with them. But what you described is whatcalled "a spin down" test for a manual trans (well almost like it). You put the vehicle in 1st gear at a standstillthen shift to neutral, release the clutch pedal, wait ~5 secs then press the clutch pedal back down (disengage clutch) and shift into reverse. If it"grinds" goinginto reverse then there maybe an issue with the clutch.It's used to let you know if there's any drag on the clutch plate (not properly disengaging). I'm thinking that something in the auto transhas time to spin down while you're giving it the 5 secs pause.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Drifting

You can get them at AutoZone. Pop the old ones out and take them with you. They are the small push in type, light dash or HVAC light bulbs.
*nevermind i got it replaced...

Old 08-17-2008, 04:08 PM
Team Owner

Ok, good. Once you figured it out it wasnt that bad was it?

Quick Reply: R-N-D clunk...cure?