Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 11:44 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radiator Help

Well, I'm nearing the 120,000 mark on my 2004 LR Disco and while changing spark wires/sparks I noticed a small leak coming from the radiator. Been looking around, and am frustrated with prices on these things. It appears P/O may have added some stop leak crap in the coolant, and I came across this ebay radiator which I would be able to do... Any advice on wether or not you think it may work with the SAI system is greatly appreciated, anyways I will be calling them tomorrow to check.
I'm guessing the SAI thing is probably a sensor that plugs into a threaded plug on the rad core, if so, would it not be possible to relocate it somewhere else for future ease of radiator service/cheaper availability? Thank you!!!
Brand New 2 Row w O EOC w O TOC Replacement Radiator for 4 0 4 6 V8 Gas At | eBay

Old 04-10-2013, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The radiator you want will come with a plug, if no sensor, leave the plug in. Be very careful about the mounting screw at the top. Wrong screw cracks the plastic side tank.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:26 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced the rad in my 02, super easy job, was done in about 3 hours, I used Silla, but I am sure there are the same, I don't have SAI, But if you look at the pic in the add, the bolt on the bottom right corner of the rad is for the SAI. The best advise I got was to just remove the battery box and air cleaner instead of the grill and all that junk. Only unusual tool to do it this way is a really long Philips screw driver. Oh and no need to disconnect the oil coolers, just a bit of wiggling and it slides right out!!

Old 04-10-2013, 12:35 AM
Three Wheeling

Just a quick question, Savannah Buzz, if I leave the plug in won't that make the Secondary Air Injection malfunction?

Old 04-10-2013, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The sensor on the bottom corner is actually there to tell the ECU the coolant temp leaving the radiator, it compares that to engine coolant, and if values are wrong it posts a code for a stuck open thermostat. That would be P0126. See page 320 of 1529 in the workshop manual. If you have one, it needs to be connected, or you will get codes.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:52 AM
Three Wheeling

Thank you!!! Just so confused with AB's SAI/Non SAI radiators being separate parts...

Old 04-10-2013, 08:21 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Be careful when buying a radiator that cheap, even if it has a Life Time warranty. Most decent radiators run twice that price and higher and can be made with better quality plastic and aluminum. I have to think the is a knock off from China and you do get what you pay for.
At your mileage make sure you totally flush out all the old stop leak, replace the coolant cap and install a new 180 degree soft spring t/stat for better engine cooling.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I would call Justin at lucky 8 he has from time to time had good deals on quality rads. of all the things you can go cheap on with these trucks. The radiator is NOT one of them. I know they can be a little pricy but it is the heart of the cooling system. So yo save a few bucks now and then the rad turns out to be of lesser quality how much are you spending to repair the damage from the cheap radiator.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's one from Lucky 8 I'm selling with free shipping. It's for a non secondary air injection Engine.

Willie

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...2-cheap-58233/

Old 04-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm confused too on the difference between the two. It looks like the sensor just plugs in to where the drain hole is on the non sai one.

Quick Reply: Radiator Help