Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator replacement and aftermarket parts

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 08:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Radiator replacement and aftermarket parts

Searching for some more advice here so wanted to start a new thread. I'm looking for advice on buying a new radiator for the 2000 DII. The one in there is newer, but had debris put a hole in it last night. I've been searching around, and see many different options for an aftermarket radiator, but really can not tell the difference between any of them.
As far as buying used, I am going to call around a few places today, but I don't think I will go that route. Being you can't see inside this, I don't want one that is all gunked up or might have other issues surface once I put it all back together. The used ones I saw online look to be about $100 anyway.
So, I'm looking to see what other options people have went with for a new part. Anyone get any of these 3 options:
Silla Radiator for $195 shipped:
Silla Radiator Aluminum core
Nissens Radiator for $237 shipped:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...NSS64313A.html
AB (don't know brand) $343 shipped
Land Rover Discovery II Radiator - Keep Your Land Rover Cool With Radiators From Atlantic British
Any assistance or tips would be helpful.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Car Part Wholesale - Auto Parts and Accessories Catalog - Radiator For 2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II SD 8 Cyl 4.0L is one thought.

Oh yes, if you are in salvage yard and newish radiator has a big cactus on it, don't take it back like I, the on-duty village idiot, did. For a D1....

Old 11-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I think I am going to get that one (same as your link) through Auto Parts Warehouse. I will pick up that, a Dayco Belt and thinking about this water pump. Any thoughts on the pump?
AutoTrust Platinum Water Pump OE replacement, mechanical

Old 11-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Buzz... all together the new Silla Radiator, Dayco Belt (with ACE) and the AutoTrust Platinum Water Pump are $303.07 shipped with discount. Doesn't seem too bad. Besides the new coolant and water wetter (figured I would try), anything else you think I need / should do while in there? Hoses are pretty much all new. Doing the water pump as preventative maintenance as with all the shaking going on with the last fan I figured might as well do it.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Be sure water pump comes with gasket. Really need to at least inpect the thermostat.

At least fan will be easier to remove....

Old 11-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Be sure water pump comes with gasket. Really need to at least inpect the thermostat.

At least fan will be easier to remove....
Yep, pump says it has a gasket. And for sure, a stuck fan is ONE less thing I need to sweat!
Is the thermostat really easy to inspect? It is newer, but I'm just wondering if for the $28 I should pick one up in case there is an issue.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Here a pic of a clogged stat, looking on axis from the "top" side down. If you buy one and your's is clean, you have a spare or a return. The way the system is built, the main hot flow out of the engine makes a T and heads toward rdaiator, short side of T goes here. Little holes pass hot coolant to mix with what is coming back from radiator to make stat open. It does not open thru this end, it goes out the "arm" to the water pump. If holes are clogged, heat takes longer to activate the thermostat (it still opens at normal temp) but block is now hotter to make that happen. On the D1 engines (same block) the stat is inside the block, like old Chevys.

Attached Thumbnails Radiator replacement and aftermarket parts-land%2520rover%2520thermostat%2520005.jpg  
Old 11-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

If your near the Carbon County area of PA.

I have a motor scope, easily look into the tanks with it to see if its clogged...

Now if you want, flushing it is a possibility as well...

Old 11-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

His has a large hole from a piece of radiator fan.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Ahhh misread that sentence...

Thanks Buzz...

If I was home I would look up a rad (price etc...) but I'm not.

Quick Reply: Radiator replacement and aftermarket parts