Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radiator source

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 07:33 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1-800-radiator part number 103168 nissen radiator ... this is what you want.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:38 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by 909wheeler
GenesisAutoParts | Radiators, Condensers & Other Auto Parts Online

$130 for mine and its a Silla 7868A. Have had mine in a few weeks and it works great. Temps are 200-205 at idle and 185-195 on the highway.
If you go the cheap route like a Silla, still call 1-800-radiator and they carry these too but I would recommend Nissen... or better yet find an aluminum tanked unit.... because our vehicle's run so hot the tank separation and or grenading is a problem. BMW which was our parent company at the time of production has the same problem. Ive fought will my 5 series till I bought this...
Zionsville Autosport: BMW E39 Super Duty Cooling Kit II

Old 04-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Avoid many problems by using a lower temp stat (the 180 soft spring), flushing radiator and replacing coolant on a schedule, not just once every ten years, etc.

I bought a Nissen for my other mid-life crisis, a Mercedes cabrio. Bought it from a big name on-line firm. Came in a box that said Nissens on a small label. Inside was a rad with a little less finish that I would have expected and a red tag for some other brand in Europe. I complained all the way to VP of Nissens, who did answer my email. Turns out that Nissens sometimes uses outside sources, for a unit that meets their specifications and that they can stand behind on warranty. Private label.

Yep. It has worked, but I did not get the radiator brand made by the famous factory with motivated and skilled employees and their quality control. I got something else. I wanted the real deal, not "just as good".

Radiators are getting thinner and thinner to have more surface area in a smaller physical package, and good airflow is important, wimpy fan clutch or dead electric fans are bad news. I have never been a fan of plastic tanks, it makes the radiator a replacement component like the hoses.

Rant over.

Attached Thumbnails radiator source-rover_rad_1.jpg   radiator source-photo_zpsce4b6f53.jpg   radiator source-d2-rad-top-scew-crack.jpg  
Old 04-26-2013, 08:25 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Our Proline D2 radiator(amongst a few other vehicles) is Nissens, we haven't had any complaints.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:35 AM
Mudding

Agreed, and that's how the "OE" radiators are looked at in the BMW community as well. I went extreme as I often do, with the Zionsville. You do get what you pay for and research before you spend your cash is paramount. I don't know what the PO in my Disco put in but when it comes time to replace mine again I may try and retro fit a Zionsville unit. Its robust and the set up is top notch. Don't band aide your problem, permanently fix it, via the radiator, hoses, water pump, inline thermostat mod, etc. Ok my rant is over too

Old 04-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I researched, I paid good money, it said Nissens on the box, but International Radiator inside. See Nissens (?) Radiator - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum . The distributor is out of the loop, because Nissens supplied it. Yes, they warranty it, but I'll bet that one they make in their factory has a longer life than a knock off even if it comes in a Nissens box.

On the other hand, either will likely outlive the vehicle.