Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Fuse Keeps Blowing

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 11:15 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Fuse Keeps Blowing

Just the other day my radio fuse blew. The one under the steering wheel. I replaced it and it works fine for a couple minutes and blows out again. Never had this problem before and I've gone through a whole pack. Not sure what's making this happen. I have stock everything so this is not a special system. Please help! I need music in my life! haha

Old 04-18-2009, 11:51 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds like your radio is about to die. Which fuse is it blowing? The radio or the amp?

Old 04-19-2009, 01:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

fuses blow generally because there is a short ( or because too much power is being drawn), the problem is finding the cause! it could be a short in the wiring, could be in the radio and you need to have it replaced, could be in the amp, could be a short in a speaker wire or at the speaker (causing the amp to get too hot and blow the fuse).

if you have a meter (or are not opposed to getting one for about $15 - $25 at walmart) you may want to test the continuity to ground on the power wire and the ground wire, if you have any ground on the power wire then you have a short and need to put in a new power wire, and if you don't have a good ground reading on the ground wire then you need to either clean your ground point or replace the ground wire. if this is all ok you may want to test the resistance of each speaker wire and speaker (I would suggest at the amp to include all the wires) if you read a direct short (or abnormal reading) either replace the bad speaker or the bad wire.

and if you have absolutely no clue what I am talking about I can try to explain all of this a little more in depth or you should take it to a professional.