Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radio replacement ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 04:11 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default radio replacement ?

I know there is an audio section but I see it doesn't get much action so posting here in the main forum.....99 disco II
Stereo controls toast on unit, speakers shot all around so not worth repairing to me. I bought a new media deck with a built in amp/equalizer and 6 new 6 1/2" speakers. I don't care about the cd player or steering column controls having to work. I'm all ipod/iphone.
I'm putting 4 ways in the back doors, 3 ways in the front and mid base/tweeter's in the back. I will add a tube base down the road once I get this all wired. so my question is, since it appears there are crossover wires in the doors, can you use any of the existing wiring or do you have to run all new wires?
In a normal car you could just wire the new deck using the existing wiring but since there is a factory amp involved will the signal just bypass the non-powered factory amp? Not sure how it all rolls even though I have looked at the diagram. any help/advice would be appreciated!

Old 08-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Mudding

The RAVE has various audio wiring layouts, as I recall. Depends on what you had originally.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

The wires for the speaker feed to a connector for the Amp under the drivers seat. You can splice into those there. That is how I'm wried now. I have new speaker wires running from the head unit to under the drivers seat. Then installed new amp and spliced the speaker wires to the Amp.

However the wires are very small and can't see them being all that great for quality sound. For everyday use they are fine, but if your trying to win a contest they won't do.

The Rave does have a great schematic for the speaker wiring to the amp.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:30 AM
Mudding

Ok , thanks! i think that is the answer I'm looking for; makes sense. I'll just do the same and run wires from the new deck to the stock amp and bypass the amp by wiring in the speakers there. If it needs more bump then I'll rewire it all with a new amp. No, not trying to win any sound contest just want something I can enjoy. The sound in mine now sucks. The PO put some ragtime speakers in the doors ( 3 way ) and they are hooked up to the other speakers so on top of everything else the sound is completely distorted since the current 6.5" 's are not component speakers..........

Old 08-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Mudding

ok so the new deck came today along with the new speakers. it also came with a new harness. tested all 6 factory harnesses ( high line system ) but could not find one constant battery terminal for the memory. Guess I'll have to run one to the fuse panel. It actually turns on the amp which I was surprised so it gave me instant sound. I have not replaced the speakers yet but Like I said the PO had 4 ways in the rear door connected to both sets of wires ( mid and tweeter) . the fronts are the same way ( 6 x 9) and are only playing base of the 3ways. midrange toast and high range tweeter sounds fuzzy. Is there any way to use any of the wiring so all 3 signals go to the 3 ways and bypass the mid and tweeters? I'm guessing not since the factory amp is splitting the signals????