Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio/stereo question??????????

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 06:06 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts
Cool Radio/stereo question??????????

Has anyone found a plug and play replacement head unit for the factory Harman Kardon stereo in a disco 2. Something that works with the factory amp, speakers and steering wheel controls.
I have seen a few post but most of them have you gutting the Harman system, diconnecting amps, installing flux capacitors in line all kinds of other crap.
Every other vechicle I owned I could by a stereo and a wiring adaptor and plug it in and go.
I've even looked at Clutchfield.com you can order everything them, but at check out they tell you the have no wiring adaptors and good luck with wiriing directions.
I see a lot of aftermarket head unit in your trucks but most say that a previous owner installed them.
Any ideas would be helpfull I have to Sat. ready stereo for other vechiles sitting at home ( JVC & Pioneer)that I would love to install but not at the cost of the gutting stock equipment.
I just hate to stick a windsheild mounted Sat. radio in my truck.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:56 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not. The problem is these radios are a size 1.5 DIN. Most radios are 1 DIN (normal size), and the newer cars are 2 DIN (taller etc). So if you went aftermarket you would have to find a single DIN radio, and then get a mounting bracket/lid etc to hide the extra 1" of space or so.

My FM button got stuck (radio turned into a gremlin). So I removed the radio last weekend and worked on it. Ordered the clips from A. British and it came right out. I was able to get the FM button unstuck and it's back to normal. When you remove that radio face piece it's like a bunch of legos...lol

If your radio is completely shot, your best bet is to maybe get one off Ebay. You can get a used replacement for 100 bucks. Just make sure the Ebay vendor/seller is legit and the code is unlocked on the radio. That's what I was going to do if I could not fix it. It's just easier/less hassle that way I would think.

Last edited by sloan74; 03-25-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:15 AM
Baja

I know what you meen about the size my doge ram was a 1.5 din. you can go with a single din with a filler strip that is no problem. but no one has anything of wiring harness adaptors. I would if they have the same problem on the other side of the pond?

Old 03-25-2011, 08:16 AM
Winching

Yeah when I googled last week I was unable to find an exact aftermarket unit to drive all the speakers, sub and CD changer.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:28 AM
Mudding

This was a huge hassle for me, and eventually i just gave up. I talked to the parts dept at the dealer and one of the issues is DINs,; another issue is for my VIN number they had 8 different units with 8 different output levels, and there was no way to know without pulling the unit! I know there are ways of going around anything (I"m sure other folks on here are more experienced with this than me and have solutions for you) but with mounting hardware, and having some installer that was agreeable to it, well.....good luck! Not to mention the amp and the multiple speaker setup.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:36 AM
Mudding

also, if you look thru my earlier posts from a year or two ago you will find I went through the exact same issue as you with the satellite radio---many had good solutions but as I said i just gave up and got the window unit (Don't know how to link you with previous posts, sorry----but you can look for them I'm sure)

Old 03-26-2011, 01:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am buying a new unit next week, and talked to Crutchfield and it didn't seem like an issue. I'm getting one with iPod connectivity, built in Bluetooth, USB, etc. I don't care about the CD changer but everything else should work. For the steering wheel controls you need a separate adapter to make those work (around $50). Everything else should be good though with the speakers/amp. I don't care so much about the stock sub as it sucks anyway. I will run the wires to put a single 8" or 10" in one of the back compartments. I was actually going to ask if anyone built a decent custom box to fit in the passenger side storage bin.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our units are single din and an aftermarket will slide right in. Not a problem. Tell Crutchfield you need the connector for an Alpine and they will send it also. Your local Stereo shops have these connectors also.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Baja

Snafu,
what head unit were you looking at?

Old 03-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Baja

Texmbr,

I was dealing with clutchfield and I knew in was an Apline, I wounder why clutchfield didnt know that all i needed was an Apline adaptor ? that opens up a lot more possiblities

Quick Reply: Radio/stereo question??????????