Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle behind engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 11:19 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle behind engine

Just got my Disco 2 with 117K miles and It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Almost better than when my wife and I fell in love. I cant believe I finally got me a ROVER. Anyways there is a rattle noise that sounds like it is comming from behind the engine. It is a tinny noise not the traditional thunk of Rod bearings or the tick of valve train. I have not checked the Torque converter bolts or anything in that area. There is no consistancy to the noise and it cames and goes which makes me think it is related to the catylic converter. Does anyone have excperience with this and could possible shine some light on this for me. Thanks I appreciate it.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Rattle behind engine

Congratulations on the new rover. The catytic converters do rattle when they fall apart inside. With the engine off get under the truck and bang on them and see if they rattle.

Willie

Old 10-09-2008, 07:05 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

What Willie said, also check for a lose heatshield.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:10 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same year and color - got it at 67K now at 123K love it. It may be the ACE - have you got this feature? It's noisy and there's a TSB on loosening and retightening bolts. More importantly - Check your driveshafts ASAP - these are fairly cheap to replace withgreasable joints and otherwise devastating to lose while driving (tranny case usually gets smashed for thousands). There is a very good checklist here to bring you up to speed - I'm sure one of the pro members will be able to steer you in the right direction. good luck

Old 10-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The flex plate can crack causing a noise, the cats will as will the 2 u-joints in the front double cardon.
Do a search on this site for my old list, posted as a 60K major service, and follow it to a tee.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where exactly are those 2 u-joints? I think I have the same problem on my 98 Disco 1. I checked the ones in the drive shafts and they're fine.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The double cardon is two u-joints in one unit on the front driveshaft. Only DII's have them, you have a DI.
Check your roto flex, it is on the rear driveshaft where it connects to the rear diff, if it is cracked replace it.
The fron DS fror a DII. http://www.roverlandparts.com/1999-2...ewoempart.aspx
For a DI. http://www.roverlandparts.com/1994-1...aft-front.aspx
Here is your roto flex. http://www.roverlandparts.com/1994-1...excoupler.aspx

Old 10-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jull

where exactly are those 2 u-joints? I think I have the same problem on my 98 Disco 1. I checked the ones in the drive shafts and they're fine.
Disco 1's didn't have the front drive shaft problems. If yopurs is a drive shaft issue, lube the u-joints and inspect the roto flex for cracks.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

98's don't have a rotoflex. just 4 U-joints on the 2 shafts.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Drifting

Ok... the rotoflex is "Starting" to go, the dealer I got it from is replacing it for me tomorrow. As far as the rattle... I banged on the cats seeing as they have no heatshield and the whole exhaust rattles.... LOL Other than that I can find nothing but very slight engine noise (Slight as in you really have to listen for it), and a light whirr in the trans. I did hear the exhaust rattle while I was under the vehicle and that appears to be what is going on. As far as ACE... I Dont have it or Auto Leveling (Thank GOD...). The Ujoints are in good shape and lubed yesterday. Thanks for the response..... WOW... I Appreciate the information.

Quick Reply: Rattle behind engine