Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really dumb Rotella question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 09:20 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by greenharoguy
Your right Spike, I meant to say that it is thicker. Not thinner, I dont know where my mind was. (generally) In this application, you are correct though. The viscosity should be the same.

Butttt..........

No Spike, your wrong. It is not the same oil as gas engine oil. There is a reason that one is for diesel engines, and one is for gas engines. (on modern vehicle's) I know I just kind of contradicted myself there but with old *** engines its a bit of a different story.

"Diesel engine oil has more additives per volume. The most prevalent are overbase detergent additives. This additive has several jobs, but the main ones are to neutralize acids and clean. Diesel engines create a great deal more soot and combustion byproducts. Through blow-by, these find their way into the crankcase, forcing the oil to deal with them. When you put this extra additive load in a gasoline engine, the effects can be devastating to performance. The detergent will work as it is designed and try to clean the cylinder walls. This can have an adverse effect on the seal between the rings and liner, resulting in lost compression and efficiency."

Like I said, if you put this in your engine, you should probably change it.
I understand what you meant, no problem.

As for the diesel oil in a petrol engine theory, wrong.
I for one have been using nothing but diesel oil in my Rover for almost 60,000 miles.
I also use it in my wifes '06 Sedona and my mothers '08 Escape.
Diesel oil is a great heavy duty oil, it is equivalent to a full syn like Mobil 1 or Penzzoil Platinum.
You can use whatever you want, I'm sticking with the Rotella and changing it every 5,000 miles.