Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not own one, but your buying a D2 for the fun of it if you ask me.

There is nothing practical about a V8 4x4 commuting back and forth to work. BUT it make that commute very FUN. Esp if your grinding a 40 hour week like most of us. It makes going to the beach fun. The mountains fun. The pool fun, etc.

If it's just not fun for you anymore then sell it and move onto another project.

You should always switch toys. Esp the older you get. And every man should have at least 1.

________
Streaming amateur

Last edited by sloan74; 03-24-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:47 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If I wanted to look like my grandma I would have sold my Disco a long time ago and bought a Camry or a some sort of sedan.
If I wanted to own a Jeep like everyone and their uncle, I would have sold my disco a long time ago.
Had I done either, I would own a dull, boring, lifeless vehicle that (lets be honest) no one thinks in unique or awesome in any way. Sedans suck, Jeeps are everywhere. LR's don't suck, and there not everywhere you look.
The Land Rover community is a HUGE part of why I love these things. What? Are you going to have a weekend get together with your Camry pals? No.
No offense to any Jeeps owners (i respect Jeeps) but most of them are Rednecks who just want to splash around in the mud and shout GIT-R-DONE.
If you can't take care of these things, you'll never have a good ownership experience.
You have to keep up with maintenance or you'll spend a fortune on a Disco.
If you don't like these trucks, sell it and get back to mediocrity in a reliable sedan. Meanwhile, I'll be on a mountain somewhere soaking up the view.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default kind of

Originally Posted by Camdisco24
If I wanted to look like my grandma I would have sold my Disco a long time ago and bought a Camry or a some sort of sedan.
If I wanted to own a Jeep like everyone and their uncle, I would have sold my disco a long time ago.
Had I done either, I would own a dull, boring, lifeless vehicle that (lets be honest) no one thinks in unique or awesome in any way. Sedans suck, Jeeps are everywhere. LR's don't suck, and there not everywhere you look.
The Land Rover community is a HUGE part of why I love these things. What? Are you going to have a weekend get together with your Camry pals? No.
No offense to any Jeeps owners (i respect Jeeps) but most of them are Rednecks who just want to splash around in the mud and shout GIT-R-DONE.
If you can't take care of these things, you'll never have a good ownership experience.
You have to keep up with maintenance or you'll spend a fortune on a Disco.
If you don't like these trucks, sell it and get back to mediocrity in a reliable sedan. Meanwhile, I'll be on a mountain somewhere soaking up the view.

In some small way some of what you say is true..you just left out that when you do show up in your DII and the other guys have defenders..you feel like you really own a camry....

Old 08-12-2010, 05:59 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by vandev
In some small way some of what you say is true..you just left out that when you do show up in your DII and the other guys have defenders..you feel like you really own a camry....
Not really, but there is no denying that Defenders are the mack daddy of all over road vehicles. I just don't have 25K to spend a the moment.... The Disco is a close as im gonna get to off road supremacy for now.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
Can someone let me in on this "defender mountain"?!?!?! I want to take my Disco there!

Old 08-12-2010, 06:31 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
your problem is comparing apples to oranges. Sure a Camry is fantastic on gas and great to get you to work and back every day. But if you like to off-road, fish, boat, hike, camp, or just be prepared for when **** hits the fan than your Camry does you no good and our great Land Rover vehicles excel. After all they were not developed for commutes to work, its a farm vehicle, a military vehicle, and now a luxury all-terrain kick a mountain in the @ss piece of egineering. They are not for everyone, nor should everyone consider buying one.
Amen, Ed.

I drove a 5-spd Maxima SE for the 3 years in-between my '96 DI and my now current DII. My Maxima amazingly reliable, it was fast, smooth, and got GREAT gas mileage. But I was BORED and I saw one just like it around every corner, couldn't take it camping, couldn't drive it in the snow, couldn't fit anything big from Home Depot, couldn't cut through the median when traffic was really bad, couldn't explore in the mountains,.....

Old 08-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i love my disco. but as soon as i had the chance to get a daily driver i took it. i take a ford station wagon with 10k miles on it every day on my 22 mile commute. it saves me a shat load of money every year as it gets 28 MPG. My disco only gets around 15 and needs hi test. so yes i love my disco, adore it. i said it before. i sold my first disco to pay for my wife to come to this country. we divorced last may and within a week i bought my second disco. i can honestly say land rover is the true love of my life and i wouldnt trade it for anything. i learned my lesson. i will keep this disco until it gives up because i refuse to give up on it. oh yeah and no more marriage plans...

Old 08-12-2010, 07:08 PM
TReK

i love my disco. but as soon as i had the chance to get a daily driver i took it. i take a ford station wagon with 10k miles on it every day on my 22 mile commute. it saves me a shat load of money every year as it gets 28 MPG. My disco only gets around 15 and needs hi test.
See, now your Disco will last even longer!
Like you said earlier, its nice to have a Disco because it serves so many purposes if you're an outdoors type person.
When I can afford another car, I'll def buy one to preserve the Disco even longer. I have no plans to sell it ever, and for right now I trust it to get me around where I need to go.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default what....

i love my disco. but as soon as i had the chance to get a daily driver i took it. i take a ford station wagon with 10k miles on it every day on my 22 mile commute. it saves me a shat load of money every year as it gets 28 MPG. My disco only gets around 15 and needs hi test. so yes i love my disco, adore it. i said it before. i sold my first disco to pay for my wife to come to this country. we divorced last may and within a week i bought my second disco. i can honestly say land rover is the true love of my life and i wouldnt trade it for anything. i learned my lesson. i will keep this disco until it gives up because i refuse to give up on it. oh yeah and no more marriage plans...

I think you need some professional help..... I mean really if you are dead set on a expedition rig.... a DII will not be in the running...You would need to downgrade..ie...no computers....i keep hearing when the sh$it hits the fan stuff....trust me i will do fine with my m4 on foot....what are you going to do when your head gasket blows or you ECU dies....you are screwed...end of days and round the world stuff ...a DII is not in the running....Hey , my DII is ok but thats it..its a truck with a lot of issues...

Old 08-12-2010, 07:23 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

vandev, you do realize the defender has the same engine, transmission, transfer case and axles as the discos right? you're just paying an extra $20k for shorter wheelbase and to own a very unique vehicle.

just about every vehicle made after 1975 has electronic ignition..when the ignition module goes out in a toyota it'll sit on the side of the road just like a rover..if you want reliability do a diesel conversion..that's what I plan to do one day.

Quick Reply: Is it really worth it?