Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 07:25 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
I think you need some professional help..... I mean really if you are dead set on a expedition rig.... a DII will not be in the running...You would need to downgrade..ie...no computers....i keep hearing when the sh$it hits the fan stuff....trust me i will do fine with my m4 on foot....what are you going to do when your head gasket blows or you ECU dies....you are screwed...end of days and round the world stuff ...a DII is not in the running....Hey , my DII is ok but thats it..its a truck with a lot of issues...
You have to keep in mind that your Disco has had more issues than most of the forum combined.

You have a valid point with the expedition rig statement, thats usually left to Series rovers or old defenders, but still, i'd trust my disco in many tough situations.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LMAO Tim. That is my favorite tv commercial of all times. That works perfectly in this context. Still laughing............BTW my Disco I has been out of commission for 2 weeks but will be up and running this weekend. My wife hates it, my wallet hates it, but the kids and I love it. Disco's are not a vehicle you kinda like, kinda don't. You either love them or hate them (or love to hate them). So either kick back and enjoy the sickness or get cured and move on.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default i made the mistake...

Originally Posted by discomedic4
LMAO Tim. That is my favorite tv commercial of all times. That works perfectly in this context. Still laughing............BTW my Disco I has been out of commission for 2 weeks but will be up and running this weekend. My wife hates it, my wallet hates it, but the kids and I love it. Disco's are not a vehicle you kinda like, kinda don't. You either love them or hate them (or love to hate them). So either kick back and enjoy the sickness or get cured and move on.

Yes it was a mistake...i should have bought a 95 DI and really fixed it up...hell, i could almost rebuild a entire DI and still save about 10k...My wife hates it ..kids could care less..well they know the LR breakdown when needed so they dont go near it.... My daughter has a DII 00 and is already sick of it..yes not running also....numerous problems.... like any smart perosn would.... ..she like defenders though..well.... who doesnt...Trust me ..as soon as i finish rebuiling it and it will be better than the fu$cking idiots that built it ....and i am being nice when i say that........it will be up for sale the same day....this day wont come soon enough.....

Old 08-12-2010, 07:50 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
she like defenders though..well.... who doesnt...
once again.....same..... drive......line

Old 08-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default not really..

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
once again.....same..... drive......line

in uk ..diesel..in US.... up till 95.... 3.9 or 4.0.... and remember it got worse every year after that so 15 years is 15 time worse than 95 or 94...I know of 3 defenders from 94 that are near me and 2 have over 200k with no issues...like my 4,0 i sold with 300k and running better that my 4.6POS...When i get mine rebuilt i am taking of the SE on the side of my truck and replacing with "POS"... i will tell buyers it is the V8 power stroke.....

Old 08-12-2010, 11:55 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies guys. I truly was NOT trying to offend anyone. At the end of the day, I know a 98 Camry is not a unique, exciting, rugged vehicle. I just used it as an example of what a friend has, who basically has no service problems, can use regular grade gas, and gets awesome MPG. That starts to look real awesome after spending $1000 at my independent Rover Mechanic and then leaving the shop only to have my SES light come on as I pull out (which wasn't on before I took the car into the shop, I did get it all sorted out though lol). I appreciate the community that you have with a Rover and know that it is an incredibly unique experience. I think the best option it to have another daily driver, like several people mentioned. Then you get the best of both worlds. Thanks again everybody, sometimes this car just makes me need to vent

Old 08-13-2010, 12:04 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will also say, that I am one of those car owners who treats their vehicle like a child. I am not one to complain after not taking care of the thing. I check fluids daily, always read the codes if the SES light comes on, and does just basic daily checks for anything wrong. When I got the car, I was extremely passionate about it, and would argue with anyone who said that getting an old LR was a waste. It just seems that the love affair is slowly coming to an end, something I never would have expected, but I just can't justify putting that much money into something that might not return the favor.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:13 AM
TReK

They always return the favor off road.
I will add that if this car was not so amazing off road I wouldn't be worth it at all.
Off roading trips ALWAYS reignite my passion for LRs

Old 08-13-2010, 11:38 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like a Defender just as much as the next guy, but I'm going to throw up if I hear anything more about how the Defender is the absolutely perfect vehicle and according to some (*cough* Vandev *cough*), no Defender ever in the world has ever broken down ever.

Vandev, have you ever driven a Defender? They don't have very good manners on road. And like Nite said (more than once), SAME engine, SAME transmission so what is the gigantic difference in reliability?

Charles21 - Look at all the ruckus you've caused! But again, sorry about your predicament.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default No rukus here..

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
I like a Defender just as much as the next guy, but I'm going to throw up if I hear anything more about how the Defender is the absolutely perfect vehicle and according to some (*cough* Vandev *cough*), no Defender ever in the world has ever broken down ever.

Vandev, have you ever driven a Defender? They don't have very good manners on road. And like Nite said (more than once), SAME engine, SAME transmission so what is the gigantic difference in reliability?

Charles21 - Look at all the ruckus you've caused! But again, sorry about your predicament.

No rukus here....No vehicle is perfect...A defender is not a perfect vehicle..it's what land rover built that made some sense...Like my 95 RR 4.0 which, yes , i did the head gaskets 1 time in 200k, drove circles around my DII.... smoother, quieter,and at 100 mph was like a rail...The 3.9 is defenatly expedition worthy....all the diesels..well you know already...Yes i have driven a defender many times and alot of different ones 90's, 110's open closed and they are awsome for what they are...When land rover entered the luxury market they went to sh$it....slowly and surley....They are for wealthy people...On the other end of the spectrum, there is us, who buy these at less than a quarter of there orginal value but fail to realize, there are poorley built and dont last unless you are yourself a mechanic or have a bucket of money...Parts and servicing are the same as if they where $40,000.00 ...thats the reality...

Quick Reply: Is it really worth it?