Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear ABS Sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 03:28 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear ABS Sensor question

Background:2004 Disco.
- Rear diff exploded on trail.
- Swapped out rear axle for used one.
- ABS light came on after swap ( 0605 rear left sensor output too low )
- Mechanic wanted to install a new hub assembly but I knew I had 2 good hubs on my "old" axle - had enough fighting with the mechanic......
- After pulling the left rear hub and swapping for one of my old ones and deleting the code the test drive proved no difference.
- Upon looking on line for a cost effective abs sensor I started seeing pictures of the abs sensors and then it dawned on me......

I did not have the little rubber ring seal on the abs sensor that goes into the hub!!!!! The SOB must have not put it on when he swapped it out!

My question is would the difference of depth from that little seal not being on be the difference in the sensor not working properly therefore sending out a justifiable code of " rear left sensor output too low "

Thank you in advance - Paul

Old 02-15-2014, 09:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I have noticed those connectors can be quite finicky. It is basically just an o-ring to help keep moisture out and it may help lock the connector in place. If the prongs look bent try a pair of pliers on them gently. Also the female connectors can get a little out of shape. So you might want to squeeze them a little as well to try to make everything a tight fit.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:34 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphobell
I have noticed those connectors can be quite finicky. It is basically just an o-ring to help keep moisture out and it may help lock the connector in place. If the prongs look bent try a pair of pliers on them gently. Also the female connectors can get a little out of shape. So you might want to squeeze them a little as well to try to make everything a tight fit.

I looked over the connectors and they were pretty clean and straight.
Before we swapped out the rear end there were no lights on at all, I swapped back in one of my old hubs I knew to be fine to the corner making the code and still nothing....leaving the only missing link to be this little rubber seal..... It is such a minimal margin that a little magnetic item may just be set off by a mm or so....
I'll keep you posted