Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear air springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 05:10 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear air springs

Ok, so I dont know if its a problem, but your opinions will be greatly appreciated.

My Disco 2 sits low at the rear. Its got SLS so has rear air springs and doesnt want to move at all. When I see non-SLS Discos, they sit level, with the distance between the top of the tyre and bottom of the wheel arch about the same on front and rear, making the vehicle sit level and look good.

Now, Ive tried to do something, anything, with the air bags yet I get nothing. I press the SLS button and I sometimes get a beep, sometimes a flash, but never any action at the rear! Its weird. I know that they sometimes leave the factory sitting a bit low at the rear (Ive worked there too many times to remember, as a contractor). But mine doesnt do anything. However, I dont know if I am following a correct procedure to raise the rear end, so knowing that would be a start.

I also sometimes carryalot of tools in the rear too, so that was the thinking behind the SLS setup. With my tools in the back, it doesnt lower or raise the suspension. Now, Ive already decided to replace the air springs as they look a bit tired, but a quick inspection didnt show any leaks or obvious damage, Im just replacing them as the vehicle has done 90k and the UK is full of speed bumps. Anyone had any experience with this? Is there anything else I should check while Im at it? Is there a procedure to alter the suspension hieght?

All info on this subject is greatly appreciated, its not a problem as such, but I worry its more than just the springs.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rear air springs

if you can't hear the compressor which is and sounds like a little pump, then it is most likely done. But I would still dive under and check if it's plugged right and you could check the fuse also. As far as sitting level, there are sensors that can be relocated to adjust the height of the rear suspension.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:48 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Call me and I will be glad to walk you thru a few simple things to go to get it back up and running.
303-862-7680
Colorado before 8 pm

Old 04-18-2008, 11:03 AM
4wd High

Cheers guys.

I will give the compressor and sensors a check over to make sure all is well.

Ive searched the forums for a 'walk through' of somekind regarding operating the SLS, but not found anything here, or any other forums. Is there a way of manually raising or lowering the suspension? I know its 'self-levelling' but it says in the User Manual that it can be done manually - just no idea how as following the book gets me nowhere. It still works, ie its not riding on bumpstops, it just sits low.

Disco Mike - I would love to call and discuss it, but with your mountain of knowledge, you wouldnt get me off the phone! However, I might need to pick your brain at some point, but I will pm you. I wouldnt want anyone on these forums to miss out on your advice!

Old 04-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

I ran into this before too. Keep in mind the compressor will not come on if any door is open. The truck needs to be running and all the doors closed. There is a box outside the truck, under the drivers side with 2 flat head screws. Turn the screws and remove the cover...that is your compressor. Check all the connections in there and start the vehicle and close the doors and see if it fires up. If it does turn on, your compressor is probably shot. If it doesn't, well you'll have to let s know. If the bags aren't leaking, I wouldn't worry about replacing them yet. If you do, get them from Arnott...they have a lifetime guarantee. If your compressor is bad, check e-Bay, that's where I got mine for about $130. Good luck!!

Old 04-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Oh yeah...the only way to have the ability to manually raise and lower the SLS is with a key fob made specifically for that purpse. The dealer needs to program it. The cost is about $300 programmed here in Charlotte (that includes the fob).

Old 04-18-2008, 03:55 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: DiscoDoobie

Cheers guys.

I will give the compressor and sensors a check over to make sure all is well.

Ive searched the forums for a 'walk through' of somekind regarding operating the SLS, but not found anything here, or any other forums. Is there a way of manually raising or lowering the suspension? I know its 'self-levelling' but it says in the User Manual that it can be done manually - just no idea how as following the book gets me nowhere. It still works, ie its not riding on bumpstops, it just sits low.

Disco Mike - I would love to call and discuss it, but with your mountain of knowledge, you wouldnt get me off the phone! However, I might need to pick your brain at some point, but I will pm you. I wouldnt want anyone on these forums to miss out on your advice!
There is very little you can do to trouble shoot this system except to check both fuses, the one under the steering wheel and the 30 amp in the engine compartment. Stay away from the sensors.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:40 PM
4wd High

Ok, thanks for the help so far.

I have checked the fuses under the steering wheel, but not knowing exactly which one is for SLS, I have actually checked most of them. Is there a particular one I should be looking for? A number would be great, the book doesnt actually say. As for the under bonnet fuse box, I cant get my bonnet open, it wont pop. I cursed. Alot. So, Im going to search how to open the bonnet and make a new post if I find nothing.

So, the compressor is defintely not working. So, I dont think it is a fuse issue (it could be, but to save time, lets say it isnt). Is there anything else that would not allow the compressor to start that I should check? Im now riding so low its rediculous. Ive still got pressure in my air springs, so I dont know how bad they are. Seem ok. Done a quick leak check (gas leak detector spray) and nothing obvious showing. Im going to assume the answer to all this is "your compressor is foo*ed".

Ive managed to clear my schedule tomorrow to fix this, so a quick response would be greatly appreciated. If I need a new compressor, where do I start looking?

Cheers in advance.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:06 AM
4wd High

shameless bump! im riding too low now, going to get pulled if Im not careful.

any help greatly appreciated

Old 04-22-2008, 11:26 AM
Administrator

The longer you drive it this way, the more damage you are doing.
I Offered to help you days ago and you are still trying to figure it out for your self. Nothing personel, but you don't even know what fuses to check, much less how to work on the system.
Call me.