Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 07:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brake Pads

I replaced the rotors and pads on the rear of our 2001 Series II. I have a question about the pads themselves. I got standard Land Rover replacement pads. They came 4 to the box. All 4 were shrinked-wrapped together as one package in the box. Two of pads that were together, frictionface to frictionface,have arrows on them and moon-shaped cut-outs in the squeal pad and the other two that were together have no arrows and no cutouts. Which pad is intended to go where? All the numbers printed on all 4 pads were the same. Usually I have found that the pads for other vehicles are paired off in the package by wheel and are identical sets. Not in this case. Hs anybody seen this and determined which pad goes inside and outside on each wheel? Thanks. Tom.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:31 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Rear Brake Pads

What brand did you get specifically and from who?
I have not seen a set as you described them and think if they are correct, the only thing you can do is take off the old pads and match them up.
Don't forget to use sound deadening spray and do a full brake flush

Old 06-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

the cresent shap goes towards the caliper piston and arrow in the direction of rotation, other two are the same and they are the outboard pads, doesnt matter what side

Old 06-22-2008, 12:30 AM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: roverguy7

the cresent shap goes towards the caliper piston and arrow in the direction of rotation, other two are the same and they are the outboard pads, doesnt matter what side
Thanks for theanswer.Do you happen to do whythat crescent cut-away is there on the caliperside? Thx. Tom.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:40 AM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

What brand did you get specifically and from who?
I have not seen a set as you described them and think if they are correct, the only thing you can do is take off the old pads and match them up.
Don't forget to use sound deadening spray and do a full brake flush
They are Land Rover brand from Rovers North. The pads and the box have the Land Rover genuine labels and part numbers.

The old pads were put onby a dealer and they say Lucas on them. All 4 old Lucas padsare identical. They don't have the cutout and that's why I didn't know which of the new ones goes where.

The Lucas pads have some orange-colored thickrubbering stuff on them at the contact points. I assume that is a thick gooey stuff the dealer used with the Lucas padsfor squeal elimination. Any idea what that prooduct would be?

I did flush the system andreplace the fluidin the entire system andthen bled it.

If the next poster is correct, I'll have to swap the pads because I did them opposite to what he advised.

Thx. Tom.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

no, i dont know why they started outting the cut out there, they are rover pads, and if you looked at the paper instructions that should have been in the box with the pads, it says the cutout goes on the inboard and the arrow in foward rotational direction