Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear door latch/lock

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear door latch/lock

Here's one.............I have a '99 D2 w/ 120,000 miles.
The rear door lock will not unlock with the remote along with the rest of the door locks.
It will lock with the remote but sometimes it does not. it does lock when you start driving, along with all the other doors.
you have to pull the handle on the inside of the door to unlock it.
When you lock the vehicle andarm the alarm system,and the rear door does not lock, the alarm will still activate when you open the unlocked rear door.
Until I get this rectified, I have rigged myself a coat hanger to hook the rear door handle from the back seat.
Anyone ever heard of this problem? I've called AB to check on what Rave calls a "Tail Door latch and motor". The guy couldn't find it but is researching it.
Thanks.....Doug

p.s. if the child proof switch had been thrown, I'd be screwed.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: rear door latch/lock

Hi, VERY common problem, sometimes its just a sticky linkage that needs lubing, or the latch mechanism / lock assy can just "wear out"

Try at first to lubricate the door lock assy, this can be done by "popping" of the rear land rover badge where the number platelights are, and then spray some lubricant in there. Sometimes this is enough to fix the issue.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's most likely very dirty in there. Spraying through the LR logo will only fix the handle (which does stick) but will not help the locking mechanism. Sounds like you need to get the latch out andclean/lube it real good. It's not too hard, check it out:
https://landroverforums.com/m_57657/tm.htm

Old 03-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: jkid

It's most likely very dirty in there. Spraying through the LR logo will only fix the handle (which does stick) but will not help the locking mechanism. Sounds like you need to get the latch out andclean/lube it real good. It's not too hard, check it out:
https://landroverforums.com/m_57657/tm.htm
Thanks for the responses. The issue at hand is not so much the operation of the latch as it is the ability to unlock the door with the button on the key. I find myself wishing there was an actual place to insert a key and physically unlock the door. I will disassemble and do further TS on it and report back.
dk

Old 03-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds confusing... So none of the doors unlock withthe remote?It sounds like it's not too consistant. Could be the battery is dying in the key FOB or it's broken. Open it up and check it out. You may find some a loose button that needs to be resoldered. Also check the plug at the latch in the door.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:18 AM
Three Wheeling

Key battery is about a month old. The remote works fine.
All other locks work normally: When unlocking::ush unlock button once....drivers door unlocks
push button a second time....all other doors unlock except therear(tail) door.

When locking::: push button once and all doors lock including the rear(tail)door.
if lock button is pushed twice fast....all doors lock and hazard lights flash twice indicating the arming of the secondary alarm system.(motion sensor system)

The only way to unlock the tail door is to pull the lever on the inside of the vehicle.