Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Frame Rail Rust

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015 | 09:06 AM
Camel Trophy

Great to hear Andy! Any photos?

Old 12-27-2015 | 09:57 AM
|
Rock Crawling

I will try to post up some pics ASAP

The following users liked this post:
borchera (01-03-2016)
Old 01-15-2016 | 07:02 AM
|
Rock Crawling

So I took the D2 in to the local oil undercoating (AND gunshop!) place yesterday. I planned to get a shot of the rust repair while it was up on the lift.
Plans derailed when the proprietor of same decided to engage me in conversation.....

"Land Rover huh? You know the difference between a porcupine and a Land Rover driver? With the porcupine, the ***** is on the outside"

OK then....

Old 01-17-2016 | 06:55 AM
Three Wheeling

I've always heard that joke used to describe BMW drivers. Disco's don't have enough horse power or brakes to pull the stunts they seem to enjoy.

The following users liked this post:
Racer X (01-17-2016)
Old 04-13-2017 | 02:35 AM
5th Gear
Default Frame Rust and other problems,

Can you please give me the information about the guy who replaced the rear frame? What part of the country? Etc...all the goodies. I recently took over my mother's old 2000 Disco 2. In great condition otherwise besides the usual. I've had really bad back problems the last two years and haven't been able to work so had to sell my car back to Hyundai. This is an amazingly great disco. 149k and hasn't had a head gaskets done!!! No sign of leaking. I'm in CT was supposed to have surgery last Friday but my Surgeon or some other BS got in the way. Back to a holding pattern. Anyhow. Any info you have I would appreciate it. I thought I saved another page on this forum for a gentleman who lived in the Mid Atlantic, or Virginia area. I'm willing to travel once I'm back on my feet. I need to make this Rover last 3 years while I save up and pay cash for a new/used F250. Maybe a year or two old. My lil bro and I convinced my mom to buy this back in 05 when I was in college and he was still in high school. We wanted her to have a safe vehicle that could drive through a brick wall. It needs a wheel bearing too. I'm mechanically inclined, when able to work I manage scrap yards. I have some friends with smaller hands. I'm 6'8" tall and not exactly skinny hahah. So somethings I just can't fix. Feel free to share with others. Oh I haven't drilled in a safe place yet to take a "core sample" of the rust. Freaking New England. It's the reason why I prefer to live down South somewhere. Once I went South I never came back besides back and a start in the Scrap industry. Anyhow I was also thinking of fish plating somehow. Similar to what we do on booms after my bam bam operators tear them in twine. Maybe it could work maybe it couldn't. I've never been a great fabricator. But anything is possible. My Rovers an old girl but a good one. I have a feeling I can push to over 300k no problem. Once wheel bearing and frame are fixed. It's also sentimental. Dealer quoted my mom 4k for rear frame, head gasket that's not leaking, and rear airbags that leak. But oddly don't leak when put into of fraud height when parked. I'm thinking flex seal if I could isolate leak? Haha. I'm on very limited resources at the moment so I'm on bubble gum and duct tape budget. Similar to when I need my material handlers up and running to finish the day barge or ship loading. If you can't tell this is my first post. However I've been. Stalking for the last two to three months since I've taken over the Rover. I would also check in to verify throughout the years when my mom needed work done. What could be deferred what couldn't etc....thanks for all y'alls help ahead of time. I'm Yankee born but my adoptive states of LA, GA, and SC are calling me home once back is fixed. He'll everything south of Charlotte to East Texas as far down as Tampa. No offense to you FL boys south of Tampa just not much cup of tea haha. At least not Atlantic side. Gulf Coast is my home. My true home. As proof, Geaux Tigers and I bleed purple and Gold, and SEC is superior.

Sincerely,

Ross W Williams

Old 04-13-2017 | 07:48 AM
|
Rock Crawling

Ross,

I took it to a place called L&G in Bennington, VT. They are a fabrication/welding shop and have done rust repair on 2 Disco's that I know of (mine and another board member).

Good luck!

Andy