Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear lowering on its own, SLS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear lowering on its own, SLS?

I'm really enjoying my new to me Disco. I'm working my way through the 60k maintenance and learning a lot about the truck as I go. I do pretty well as a shade tree mechanic but the whole SLS is completely new to me so, I bring my problem to the wise ones here. And the wise asses too.

I am not actually having any problem that I am aware of with the SLS. Yesterday, I had a guy riding my *** on the way into work so I was eyeballing him in my rear view mirror when I stopped. Then I noticed that he was getting taller... no, that the *** end of the Disco was settling on its own. Hmmm... at the few remaining stops between there and work, I watched in my rear view and, sure enough, it was like the rear end was slowly lowering when I stopped.

I didn't have time to get under the truck with a flashlight last night when I got home. But, I hope to have time this weekend but am not exactly sure what I'm going to be looking for. I've got the RAVE but haven't had time to get into it yet... is there a troubleshooting procedure in there somewhere?

Thanks in advance guys.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I'll go with the wise ***.

start with spray bottle with soap and water check the lines and the bags.

especialy where the bags rub against it's self, you will see a point where the bags roll up upon themselves.

then you can go after the hard stuff like controllers, actuators and soleniod valves.

also you probably want to pull the fuse on you compressor until you get to it.

My undertsanding is you can burn out the compressor faily easy, the compressor is design to add air to the system not to run constant.

it will kick out on thermal over load the first few times it is over heated, but when it goes they run serveral hundred dollars, ther is one on ebay now for $295 which is cheap.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely a leak. If you want to keep your air ride then pull the fuse. You can drive the vehicle with the bags flat. If the compressor continues to run and run and run it will burn out or go into a hard lock out. This is only resettable through the dealer. Find the leak and fix it, like drowssap suggested, soapy water and so time. Let the system fill and start spaying. Under the drivers side rocker you will see a black box with a removable cover, this is where the compressor, valves and lines are, check there for leaks also. Good luck.