Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear skylight stuck open -help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 11:54 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the motor trying to work against you? Crazy thought, but try unplugging the motor then closing it. Or you could remove the motor and see if it turns in both directions. Try to put it back in the same spot.

I don't know that much about these things yet, but I have cranked open and close mine. My gasket did pop loose, maybe something is blocking yours. Removing the whole sunroof isn't that hard, if the headliner isn't in the way.

Old 01-04-2023, 08:10 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanthro
4mm. My rear sunroof won't close down. It opens and closes with the the switches, but won't finish.
Nor does the crank close the rear sunroof, at all. I can crank it open, but can't crank it closed, even if the sunroof is open. Anymore force and the 4mm will break.
Spray a good coating of a non-tacky lube in all the tracks, I recommend Maxima chain wax as it drys completely tack free and dry so will not attract dust. Actuate the switch WHILE attempting to manually turn the motor. This is best done with a 4mm socket on a electric drill with a screw clutch setting set fairly high so it will slip but not damage the internals of the motor.

The typical mode of failure of these has to do with water intrusion in the motors due to the poor design of the sunroof pans. The motor is not sufficiently protected at the front of the pan from liquid levels and can be exposed to water. This causes the internals of the motor to rust and sieze. In terms of repair, the motors can be removed, disassembled, cleaned, lubricated, and reinstalled without removal of the headliner but it is best to remove the headliner and correct the leaks as well. To remove the motors without removing the headliners, the front o/h console has to be removed. In the rear, the screw retaining the O/H console to the roof has to be removed along with the sunroof opening trim strip. You can then move the headliner down enough to get a ratchet with a torx bit in the space and remove the motor. Suggest you review this post: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...81/#post713877