Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear subwoofers are toast on my 2003 SE7; recommended replacement??.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Madlands, mine are the same. I had a look and the subs look fine, so I assume amp is the problem. Npr nor stern require them so...it is a back burner issue for me

Old 12-18-2013, 10:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Got the enclosure installed tonight. I had to open up the opening in the door a little. Sounds much better than the old speakers.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:37 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
I have a pair of factory subs in great condition for sale if you aren't interested in changing out your amp.
sending you a PM

Old 01-06-2014, 06:05 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by acamato
Got the enclosure installed tonight. I had to open up the opening in the door a little. Sounds much better than the old speakers.
Acamato, thought I would check in with you. You've had the pyramids in for a few weeks now,....any issues? I read a thread elsewhere where installing aftermarket speakers caused the subwoofer amp to blow.

Brian in Austin

Old 01-07-2014, 06:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bcolins
Acamato, thought I would check in with you. You've had the pyramids in for a few weeks now,....any issues? I read a thread elsewhere where installing aftermarket speakers caused the subwoofer amp to blow.

Brian in Austin
No issues so far.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:35 AM
Winching

Got the Pyramids from eBay for $30 shipped.

The Old Phillips speakers came right out of the plastic mounting panel with a solid smack from a big rubber mallet.

Once the new speakers were installed in their plastic mounting panel,...I attempted lining the panel up with the original mounting holes in the rear door,...then I could see where I needed to modify the rear door opening with my biggest ball peen hammeer. Took a few minutes to persuade the metal into a new more accomadating shape.

I did have to replace a couple of the spade lug connectors. Used some quick crimp connectors. Installed everything.

They work, but NOT a lot of sound out of them.

Wondering if there might be an impedance mis-match issue.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:56 PM
Winching
Default Update

Well, turns out the Pyramids are 4 ohm. So, can't imagine the OE Phillips subs were 2 ohms which would be the only more efficient impedance. Also generally,.....amps either WORK,....or.....they DON'T. This working just a little thing is odd,.....wondering if there is something that might blow in the Sub woofer output stage,...that dramatically drops the output/volume of the subs,....if the stereo is over driven,................or.............did I toast the sub woofer amp by continuing to play the radio at volume when I had the subs out of the truck.

Anyone that can chime in on how your sub woofers work on your D2???? are they fairly loud? Do they thump pretty good when the stereo is cranked? (mine don't),...or do they seem to barely be working?? (like mine,...and some others)

Brian

Last edited by bcolins; 02-11-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

mine(OEM with HSE) seem to create a "clicking/chirping" sound Jay-Z is cranked up, almost like the paper of the woofer is flapping around like baseball cards in spokes. I am going to inspect them on Fri when I have a day off.....

Old 08-16-2018, 11:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bcolins
I 'm looking for replacement rear door mountd subwoofers for my 2003 D2 SE7. It has the stock radio unit,....whatever that is. I'm hoping to find something reasonably priced that will will match the output of the existing system.

Any suggestions?

Brian in Austin
I recommend these 8+8 ohm 6.5 subs I’m getting for my truck. They have great sensitivity and with less strain on the amplifier. I’m keeping my stock amp and ordering these at the end of the month. They have 91.5 dB sensitivity which is the highest I’ve seen.

https://www.parts-express.com/goldwo...elded--290-352

The following users liked this post:
No Doubt (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 03:33 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

For $23 a pair I installed two years ago the Pyle PLG64 300W mid bass subwoofers after I blew out the stock subs.
They are good but not 'audiophile-wise' extremely great. I got what I paid for...

Last edited by JUKE179r; 08-17-2018 at 03:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
No Doubt (08-17-2018)

Quick Reply: Rear subwoofers are toast on my 2003 SE7; recommended replacement??.