Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear sunroof not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 08:14 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear sunroof not working

Ok, I've read through a couple threads regarding sunroof repairs.
The rear sunroof wasnt working when I bought the truck. When front the switch is depressed, you can hear the front control module relays click but not when you use the rear switch.
Do the motors go bad or is it a switch/srcu (sunroofcontrolunit)?
I'd like to put power directly to the motor to see if it works.
But the only way to access the rear motor seems to be a headliner removal job?

Are there any walk throughs?

Old 06-13-2014, 09:59 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your motor is prob/bad you don't have to pull headliner

Old 06-13-2014, 10:52 AM
Mudding

Ok, so how do I access the motor? If I pull off the rear light, I can see the whole switch cover panel appears to be attached to the headliner.
I don't see how to remove it to get to the motor.
I haven't tried to manually crank the roof open, but is the motor accessible from the top then?

Old 06-13-2014, 11:01 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After my 99 sat all winter, while I rebuilt the drivetrain , the front sunroof would not open. I used a manual crank and after a few turns back and front the motor worked. worth a try?
Is there a relay for the Sunroofs? If so you could hot wire the terminals???
Sorry but learning as I go myself and have not done much with the sunroofs!

Old 06-13-2014, 02:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ImQuattro
Ok, I've read through a couple threads regarding sunroof repairs.
The rear sunroof wasnt working when I bought the truck. When front the switch is depressed, you can hear the front control module relays click but not when you use the rear switch.
The front mounted center orangish sun roof switch enables/disables the use of the rear mounted sunroof switch.

Do the motors go bad or is it a switch/srcu (sunroofcontrolunit)?
I'd like to put power directly to the motor to see if it works.
But the only way to access the rear motor seems to be a headliner removal job?

Are there any walk throughs?
You need to follow the electrical schematic diagram to evaluate powering the motor directly from another connector that can be accessed without dismantling half the vehicle, and observe polarity for opening action.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Both front and rear sunroof motors sieze-up, as they get clogged with all the dirt that gets washed past the sunroof seals.

When they've siezed, they can often be 'saved' by dismantling, cleaning, and re-greasing them.

The sunroof switches don't switch power directly to the motors, they earth-down signal wires from the sunroof ECU, which switches the power and cuts it when the motor stalls (fully opened or closed).

The power leads from the ECU are connected to the motor by Sumitomo HM250 4-way connectors.

The terminals in these are compatible with standard 'Lucar' 1/4" (6.3mm) terminals, so it's fairly easy to make-up a power lead that plugs directly into the connector on the motors wire tail.

Be careful though, as a siezed motor could burn-out if allowed to draw too much current.

For the rear sunroof motor, the power wiring is as follows -

Black - Earth

Blue - Live (to power the sunroof open)

Orange - Live (to power the sunroof closed)

Old 06-13-2014, 05:30 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by PaulMc
Both front and rear sunroof motors sieze-up, as they get clogged with all the dirt that gets washed past the sunroof seals.

When they've siezed, they can often be 'saved' by dismantling, cleaning, and re-greasing them.

The sunroof switches don't switch power directly to the motors, they earth-down signal wires from the sunroof ECU, which switches the power and cuts it when the motor stalls (fully opened or closed).

The power leads from the ECU are connected to the motor by Sumitomo HM250 4-way connectors.

The terminals in these are compatible with standard 'Lucar' 1/4" (6.3mm) terminals, so it's fairly easy to make-up a power lead that plugs directly into the connector on the motors wire tail.

Be careful though, as a siezed motor could burn-out if allowed to draw too much current.

For the rear sunroof motor, the power wiring is as follows -

Black - Earth

Blue - Live (to power the sunroof open)

Orange - Live (to power the sunroof closed)

awesome info. Saves me from printing out the wiring diagram. How do I access the rear motor?
Are its connections accessible from the front??
(Tia!)

Old 06-13-2014, 05:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

awesome info. Saves me from printing out the wiring diagram. How do I access the rear motor?
Are its connections accessible from the front??
(Tia!)

According to the workshop manual, for the rear sunroof motor, you have to drop the headlining

I'm sure that if you remove the trim around the edge of the sunroof, you can drop the headlining around its edge sufficiently to get your hands in there to un-plug the motor.

I'm not sure if you could also remove it this way.

I've managed to replace the alarm receiver by this method, and I've got fairly large hands.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:05 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2022 rear sunroof switch

I have an 04 V8 Disco the front sunroof works perfect but the rear sunroof switch stopped operating the front switch only opens the rear sunroof. Its grinds and won't close. I have to manually with the star t25 close it. Any one know if its a water issue before I tackle this or just a switch and bad plastic gear. And I assume I am needing a motor unless there is a good hack. I am asking because I may let this problem sit til Spring and incorporate the headliner solution and front drain plugs i have 5/16 aluminum bushings i will step drill the old plastic ones that broke and epoxy these for a hopefully permanent solution. Also getting read for a total maintenance update as its been 10 years since I did the lift conversion and interior rubber coat for the floor and shift boot customized. Seats have some tears so have to address that as they have the heated wiring in them. Already rebuilt my motor at 90k did a custom cylinder sleeve tap and pinned them. Head gasket etc. Currently still zero leaks very happy about that. But due to health reasons I didn't get to keep up with frame maintenance and she's got melanoma. Well thats my 2022 update hope D2 owners are doing well. Any modern tips will be appreciated.

Old 11-12-2022, 03:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,068 Posts

You can remove the motor without removing the headliner. You have to remove the sunroof edge trim, and remove the mounting screw for the rear sunroom switch plastic - remove the switch and you can see the screw. Then pull it down and get your hands in with a 1/4" ratchet and bit driver with torx bit. Take the motor apart, clean up the rust and lube the rotor with grease and put it back together. However, it is better to remove the headliner and address all the leaks by driving it a while without the headliner in it to find all the leaks.

The following 3 users liked this post by Extinct:
Discorama (11-12-2022), longtallsally (11-12-2022), PD2004USSalty (11-13-2022)