Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear view mirrow

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 01:54 PM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

Just a quick FYI, the 1999 DII had a different mirror than the later models. The DII mirror from 1999 suffered the same bleeding problem as the DI. The later DII mirrors, both the compass version and the homelink version almost never suffered the same fate. I've never tried to test the backward compatibility of the later mirrors on a '99 DII or DI for that matter. I'm sure you can get them to fit and maybe even get the chromatic auto dim function but I doubt the compass or homelink features will work.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:57 PM
TReK

I should also mention that for a long while, the manufacturer of the DI mirrors, Magna Donelly (sp.?) was replacing them for customers. I'd bet they were the makers of the early DII mirrors as well.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:04 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the info, Paul. Donnelly was the manufacturer.
I've already buttoned it up and I'm onto the next project!

Old 07-08-2015, 07:02 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 892 Likes on 643 Posts

I'm glad you are satisfied, but for the benefit of others who may read this and following up on Paul's point, yes the later DII interior mirror can be made to work in a '99. I did that upgrade several years ago after the original mirror failed.

The connectors do not match up so you have to cut and individually connect the wires after doing a little detective work or perhaps some trial and error to find out which of the three wires is for which purpose. If I recall correctly I cut off the connector in the mirror and left the harness connector intact. I put some kind of terminals on the mirror wires that could slip over the pins in the harness connector. Sorry for not being more specific but it's been a few years.

In any event the mirror I bought was a compass mirror. The '99s have HomeLink installed separately. The compass and the autodimming features work fine.

Last edited by mln01; 07-08-2015 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:45 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
Just a quick FYI, the 1999 DII had a different mirror than the later models. The DII mirror from 1999 suffered the same bleeding problem as the DI. The later DII mirrors, both the compass version and the homelink version almost never suffered the same fate. I've never tried to test the backward compatibility of the later mirrors on a '99 DII or DI for that matter. I'm sure you can get them to fit and maybe even get the chromatic auto dim function but I doubt the compass or homelink features will work.
The D2 late mirrors are compatible. Mount wise, but need some wire splicing for the functions to work. My D1 has a homelink and compass enabled mirror, fully functional.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:00 AM
TReK

Abran, you should post up details for matching the wires so people with DI's can have working rearview mirrors again. I have boxes of DII mirrors and would love to sell them off to needy Di owners. Eric Tyrrell single handedly created a demand for the DII CC ECU when he posted directions for splicing AMR5700 from a DII in place of AMR1132 from a DI. I can't keep those ECU's in stock anymore.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Abran, you should post up details for matching the wires so people with DI's can have working rearview mirrors again.
Im at work, so I cant do much research, but I think the info is on Dweb somewhere.

Alternatively, I think I was able to to figure it out by looking at the Electrical manuals in the rave. It is only 3 wires after all.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:43 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

It's pretty simple. I don't have my computer now, but I will post when I get home from this trade show I'm at.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 892 Likes on 643 Posts
Smile

Abran, you should post up details for matching the wires so people with DI's can have working rearview mirrors again. I have boxes of DII mirrors and would love to sell them off to needy Di owners. Eric Tyrrell single handedly created a demand for the DII CC ECU when he posted directions for splicing AMR5700 from a DII in place of AMR1132 from a DI. I can't keep those ECU's in stock anymore.

Oh great. Now you're going to shame me into digging up the wire colors needed to make this work. Thanks Paul.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

The wiring colours on the vehicle harness are unchanged from pre-facelift to facelift -

Light Green/White (LGW) = Ignition-switched live from F15 (20A) in the passenger compartment fuse box

Green/Brown (GN) = Live from reversing lights switch

Black (B) = Earth

Early vehicles used an AMP Econoseal III 3-way female connector on the vehicle, with a corresponding male connector on the mirror -

Name:  YPC10067.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  42.3 KB

Later vehicles used an AMP MQS 10-way female connector on the vehicle, with a corresponding male connector on the mirror -

Name:  YPC111780.jpg
Size:  30.7 KB

Even though it's a 10-way connector, only 3 out of the 10 'ways' are used -

(connector face)

The wiring colours on the mirrors don't match the wiring colours on the vehicles.

All of the dipping/compass mirrors that I've seen here in the UK have had the following wire colours -

Grey = Reversing lights

Red = Ignition-switched live

Brown = Earth

If you don't want to cut your vehicle's wiring harness, I make an adaptor harness to enable a later mirror to be fitted into an earlier vehicle -

Name:  DSC04573a.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  431.3 KB . Name:  DSC04574a.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  588.4 KB

Name:  DSC04571a.jpg
Size:  1.07 MB

Name:  DSC04572a.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  1.03 MB

I can also make an adaptor harness to put an earlier mirror into a later vehicle - but, I don't get much call for that one Name:  laugh-1.gif
Views: 34
Size:  670 Bytes

Quick Reply: Rear view mirrow