Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wiper not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wiper not working

Hey Mike,
Long time since i needed help. My rover still going strong. But......it seems she is always in need of something.
Now the rear wiper isn't working.
Not the fuse.
Washer fluid still comes out.
No activity when switch is pushed, or washer switch pushed. Looks to have stopped mid swipe.
What do you think?

Also, some of the roof fabric is coming lose. Any suggestions?

Best, Gordon

Old 12-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello Gordon!

You will need to start with checking the fuses, if your good there check for power at the wiper motor if it is dead then you have a seized up motor. If not then take the switch out and check the plug for power feeding and leaving . Its the process of elimination.

How many miles and what year is your truck?

Drew

Old 12-11-2012, 01:10 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might be as simple as the pivot nut coming loose. Can you move the wiper with your hand? If yes, move the wiper to it's parked position, remove the cap over the pivot nut, and tighten the nut.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Check for power to the wiper motor, if good then the motor is bad, if no power, back track to find the break.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:36 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 landrover discovery ii

Hey guys,

So i am just approaching 128,000 on the rover. It really has been an amazing vehicle. Since returning to Maine the local Rover dealer is like 2.5 hours away so i have been having the vehicle regularly checked by my old mechanic from years ago who used to work on my MG's and TR6's.

Myself, i can only really do the basics as far as maintenance is concerned. Plus i really like to try and solve issues that really do not need to be taken to a proper mechanic.

With that said, how do i check to see if power is getting to the rear wiper motor? Do i have to remove the steering wheel to check the actual wiper switch?

I did check the fuse and it is fine. Mike, you mentioned "fuses". Is there more than the one for the rear wiper? I think on my rover it was number 18 with a 15amp. I did check to see if i could move the wiper arm. It doesn't move but did stop mid swipe and is not in the normal parked position.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gordon with a little effort you can remove the rear door skin to have nice access to the motor and wires. After removal you will need a test light then you will unplug the electrical connector and have a helper turn the rear wiper on at the dash, now with the test light grounded you will touch the prongs in the connector one at a time to check for power.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:13 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Positive

Got three wires on 2004 rear wiper motor connector: green/brown. Green, and yellow and brown. To test if motor works which is ground and which is power? The back connector with two clear that yellow/brown is power and black is ground. When connected can see motor return to park position. Problem is with 3 pin connector nothing seems to make motor turn??? I'm sure it must be me having a senior moment.