Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redline Shockproof in the T-case got rid of the 'clunk noise'

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redline Shockproof in the T-case got rid of the 'clunk noise'

Just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with Redline Shockproof for the diffs and/or T-case. I experimented with a few hundred miles of normalon-road driving usingRedline Shockproof Light in the transfer case-ran fine but it produceda noticably louder 'clunk' noisethan with the usual 75W90. My test consists ofslowly alternatingon-off-on-off the gas pedal while cruising at 30mph.

I just switched to the Shockproof Heavy weightin the T-case, and as hoped the 'clunk' is now sodimished I have to really try hard to detect it. When cold the clunk is totally gone, warm I can just barely hear it.

I'm hoping some other guys have used it with similar results, or atleast no negative results. Next- I'm thinking of using it in the diffs too, as there is a lt of drive line backlash there.

2000 DII, ACE, 135K mi.
________
DIRTY TALKING LESBIANS

Last edited by phatduc; 05-03-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Redline Shockproof in the T-case got rid of the 'clunk noise'

Sounds like i'll be trying this stuff

as soon as disco mike / someone who knows what they are talking about says it won't have negative effects

Old 12-07-2008, 08:34 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

RedLine Shock Proof is a gear lube?
What weight is it?
I use 85w-140 gear lube in both diffs and t-case. When the cluck gets loud again it is time to change the fluid.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Mudding

Spike555,
Perfect comment. That exactly describes what I started hearing last week. And how to fix it. Thanks

Old 12-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Any of the 85W/140 gear oils will make a big difference, in my case I used the 85W/140 Mobil one and just under 1 pint of Lucas gear oil suppliment, what a change.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Mudding

I used to use heavy shockproof in my s13 240sx Drift car. My 2nd and 3rd gear synchros were shot, but adding the shockproof quieted it and made it much smoother.

From Redline: The viscosity characteristics allow the lubricant to resist throwoff and provide a film thickness similar to a 75W250 grade, while providing the same low fluid friction as an SAE 75W90

Old 12-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: Spike555

RedLine Shock Proof is a gear lube?
What weight is it?
I use 85w-140 gear lube in both diffs and t-case. When the cluck gets loud again it is time to change the fluid.
Apparently so... they make synthetic gear oils in a variety of weights including 75W90 and 80W140, with and w/o additive packages for the limited slip clutch packs in racing diffs, and then the Shockproof stuff, which has some slipperyparticles added to it. Here's the description:

http://<a href="http://www.redlineoi...egoryID=16</a>

"A unique lubricant containing a suspension of solid microscopic particles as an extreme pressure agentunique solid dispersion which cushions gear teeth to help prevent tooth breakage and allows the use of lower viscosities.

Acting like a liquid grease, the viscosity characteristics of ShockProof?? allow the lubricants to resist throwoff and provide the protection of a greater film thickness with relatively light fluid viscosity, offering a "best of both worlds" balance of low drag and superior protection."

The suspend particles are probably some kind of polymer like teflon, etc.? Who knows, hopefully some oneelse on the forum with a chem background can tell us how the stuff works. The wayI figure it: polymer particles floating around in the T-case is better than broken bits of steel gears. We need to clean the steel shavings off the magnetic drain plug everytime thegear oil is changed, so there's 'microscopic particles'in the T-case whether we added them or not(aka metalwearing off the gear teeth), so having microscopic particles in the oil that are actually softer than thesteel wearing off the teeth is not a bad thing.

As for viscosity... Shockproof Heavy is self-described on the Redline website as:

"Recommended for heavily-loaded racing differentials and transmissions, Off Road racing and problem gearboxes. The viscosity characteristics allow the lubricant to resist throwoff and provide a film thickness similar to a 75W250 grade, while providing the same low fluid friction as an SAE 75W90."

So... it flows/pours like a 75W90, but provides the cushioning film thickness between impinging gear teeth like a much heavier oil would? Not sure. Pours like candy-colored pancake batter.

If it slows down the gear wear in the T-case, great. The book specifies 75W90, but as the gears wear and drivetrain backlash increases over time, the clunk noise appears.Higher viscosity gearoilsolves the noise problem with a thicker film thickness, until the teeth wear a bit more and the viscosity of the oil breaks down, and the backlash noise returns.

Hoping it slows down the teeth wear... we'll see.

________
INFANT PRILOSEC

Last edited by phatduc; 05-03-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Rock Crawling

where did you get the redline...

how much did you pay?

Old 12-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: tomfraser

where did you get the redline...

how much did you pay?
You stole my question!

Old 12-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Redline Shockproof in the T-case got rid of the '

I know i can order it off the internet, but not really sure which shops might carry it

a gallon is gonna run around 40 bucks tho

damn... nearest dealer is 40 miles away from me

redlineoil.com has a list of dealers by zip codes

Quick Reply: Redline Shockproof in the T-case got rid of the 'clunk noise'