Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

regular gas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
are you saying that knock sensors have nothing to do with the octane gas that you put in the fuel tank? Because that's just retarded. and for your last 2. I never said the engines were high compression and I never said they run extra hot so what the hell are you quoting? good luck with the **** you dump in your tank thank God I'm not the sorry sack to buy your hunk of s*** when you're done with it
I think he's saying the knock sensors don't work overtime like you said they would be by running lower octane. If you are running the engine they are working, regardless of how much knock is detected.

Rovers aren't anything special, they work like every other vehicle that's a modern fuel injected engine. All that happens when you put in low Octane is that the gas ignites quicker. This can cause preignition or knocking. The computer will detect this with the knock sensor and retard timing until it doesn't detect it any longer or the max value is reached. All this means is you end up with the possibility of worse fuel economy and performance. If it retards the timing to its Max limit and still detects knock it will throw a code, for instance P0326 or P0328. Likewise if you don't see this code your computer is able to adaot your timing curve to match the octane level of your fuel. Additionally, if lower octane gas is more susceptible to preignition that means it burns easier and at a lower temperature. I would suspect that if you are seeing fuel in your oil it is not from running low octane, but from your AFR being way to rich (O2 sensors, MAF, vacuum leak, etc) or from your RI gs being worn (blow by). I suppose its possible that may e the engine could retard timing so much all the fuel does not get ignited, but at this point I would be willing to bet your only symptom would not be fuel in the oil and you'd see thins like misfure codes and 02/cat inefficiency codes from raw gas in the exhaust.

That all being said I run premium in mine, the difference in cost per fill up isn't that much.

Last edited by BrandonS; 12-13-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Likes on 81 Posts

The biggest advantage to premium use is you know that of the last 100 people that came in that station only a very few touched the premium button, so you will get fewer germs on your finger.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:58 AM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Just my 2¢
I haven't proven this in my Rover, but in my old jeep I used to get about the same milage per dollar, so I always go premium.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:46 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

This is an age old topic, subject to much debate throughout the Land Rover community. It is very difficult to determine which grade is best.

I just use premium, simple as that. Gas prices have gone down enough that it doesnt really effect my wallet. Better to be safe than sorry. I love my truck very much and I worked my *** off to get it, naturally I want it to have the best of the best - so why the hell not use Premium?

Honestly I expected my MPG to be alot worse than what I'm actually getting... grant I have not calculated it yet, but considering all the driving I do and the fact that I live on a small mountain, my truck seems to do very well with premium fuel. But I also keep the fuel injectors cleaned.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:49 AM
TReK

and honestly weather or not you use premium or lower grade, your head gaskets ARE gonna need to be changed eventually anyways so I would not let the fact the the previous owner used regular fuel, discourage you to much. If you really like the truck and most of the truck is in good working order and has a clean history then go for it. But knock the price down cause thats alittle high what hes asking. Good luck and cheers

Old 12-15-2012, 01:13 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
are you saying that knock sensors have nothing to do with the octane gas that you put in the fuel tank? Because that's just retarded. and for your last 2. I never said the engines were high compression and I never said they run extra hot so what the hell are you quoting? good luck with the **** you dump in your tank thank God I'm not the sorry sack to buy your hunk of s*** when you're done with it
A bit mad? I didn't say that about the knock sensors. What I want to knowis what would make the fuel predetonate to begin with. I have heard everything under the sun stated as fact. A popular one is the cylinders get really hot in these. Ok why? Another fun one is it helps the engine run cooler.

It's **** huh? Funny.

Anybody who buys a rover is a sorry sac of ****. But if it makes you feel better I can use the magic words "I only ran premium" and you'd never know my pod rover from another. I have taken apart rovers that "only ran premium"
I also always have ran premium in my rovers (di DII lr3 and range rover) recently switching back to regular after using common sense.

Little tidbit. Landrover required premium in my v6 LR3 which was the EXACT SAME ENGINE PRODUCED BYFORD WHICH USED REGULAR. I think its just a landrover "thing"

Old 12-15-2012, 07:32 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll misquote you like you did me.

"Octane has nothing to do with at what time fuel detonates, I use 87 octane from American Gas or whatever no name brand is cheapest because the additives in BP or Sunoco do nothing. When I do sell my disco I will just tell a fib to the buyer that I always used premium and did regular oil changes"

Old 12-15-2012, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

We are blessed in the US and Canada with steady supplies of high quality gasoline, except for the storm area problems. That is certainly not the case in other countries. Mercedes made for Europe used to come with a dash selector switch that changed the tune resistor so you adjust for fuel quality purchased. In the US they used a fixed value, tuned for premium (and it could be hacked to make it run a wee bit better on regular). The modern injection, knock sensors, and computer controlling it all make perfomance on small variations in gas less of an issue.

The marketting department may well want premium so that rest of world users seek out best supplies of gasoline. Now the big oil companies spend a lot of money to produce the various grades of gas, and the additives for them. And their distributors have multiple tanks, complex pumping systems, etc.

I can't imagine that over the past decades if there was no difference, why would petroleum retailers and the whole system go to the trouble to put in all this extra equipment and capacity, extra EPA testing of sites, insurance, operating expenses, etc.

You can say that premium gas is "snake oil". But people who have a lot more PhDs on staff and more money than all of us seem to be finding a market for it.

It can't all be "fear" marketting. It is not all "snob appeal" ( a premium vehicle "demands" premium fuel ).

Of course, regular outsells premium by about 10:1. But the sales of premium a'int what they once were, they used to sell four time more premium than they do today. See for yourself -

U.S. Sales to End Users, Total Refiner Motor Gasoline Sales Volumes

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/Lea...A133600001&f=M

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 12-15-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:13 AM
TReK

I agree with Buzz here. If your going to buy own and maintain a premium vehicle like our Land Rovers, then might as well treat it will premium fuel and oils. We all know how "needy" these vehicles are and we deal with it. IF you are so worried about saving afew cents via regular fuel then might as well sell your Rover to someone who can appreciate it AND get yourself a cheap fuel efficient honda civic. Simple as that.

"Shut up and fish!"
Sig Hansen

Old 12-15-2012, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

And to be fair to the other side of the question, the engine is not going to blow up in 1000 miles because of regular vs premium, that takes you ignoring the Rover gods at a higher level of infraction. Will running premium erase the sins of past owners? Not so much. Will it make your truck run better? Seems to. But that county mounty out there waiting to chase you down and present a fast driving award most likely has regular in his tank. Premium sales would also be down because of the economy. If you have to run regular, please don't skimp on oil change frequency.

Quick Reply: regular gas?