Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Not Working on Door Locks

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 02:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remote Not Working on Door Locks

I've read the various posts about door locks not working that would apply to my 2001 Discovery II SE7 but none seem to apply to the problem I'm having. Recently the remote stopped working. It will not lock or unlock the doors. The spare remote also does not work. New batteries in both remotes didn't fix the problem either. It doesn't appear that it is the latch assemblies because when the key is inserted and turned in the driver's door, all 5 doors can be locked and unlocked, no problem. Also the buttons on the dash work properly to unlock and lock all 5 doors. It seems to be a problem with the wireless communications. I assume it's not the fobs because both of them do not work even with new batteries. That suggests that the signal is not being received or not processed properly by the receiver in the vehicle. Also, the red light on the dash does not flash when the fob button is pressed. The red light on the fobs both are red when the button is pressed so they appear to be working.

Anybody have any ideas? Thanks. Tom

Old 09-08-2014, 08:44 PM
Mudding

Receiver in the headliner. Section 86-4-12 of the rave, in the ALARM SYSTEM AND HORN portion.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by jwigum
Receiver in the headliner. Section 86-4-12 of the rave, in the ALARM SYSTEM AND HORN portion.
Thanks for that direction.

I'm trying to figure out how to get access to the receiver without ruining the headliner.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:10 AM
Mudding
Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

I just replaced mine, but haven't had a chance to get it reprogramed yet. It wasn't that hard to do. You only have to pull down part of the headliner ahead of the rear sunroof.

Check out 86-4-28 in the Rave. Just follow those instructions and pull down the headliner just enough to fit your hand up in there. It takes a little time to unbolt it, but it's not that hard.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:30 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by OCMike
I just replaced mine, but haven't had a chance to get it reprogramed yet. It wasn't that hard to do. You only have to pull down part of the headliner ahead of the rear sunroof.

Check out 86-4-28 in the Rave. Just follow those instructions and pull down the headliner just enough to fit your hand up in there. It takes a little time to unbolt it, but it's not that hard.
Thanks for that page reference. I don't know how I missed it.

Is there any way to determine if the receiver is working or not without a testbook?

If the receiver is replaced, does it need to be reprogrammed?

Old 09-16-2014, 03:26 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by focusontheworld
Thanks for that page reference. I don't know how I missed it.

Is there any way to determine if the receiver is working or not without a testbook?

If the receiver is replaced, does it need to be reprogrammed?

No it does not. Just ensure you buy the receiver with the same frequency as your old unit.
Very easy to replace, but ensure the earth lead is clean and tight connection.

Cheers, Jerry

Old 10-12-2014, 12:26 PM
Three Wheeling

I found the receiver under the headliner. Anybody know a way to test it without a Testbook? The problem could be in the receiver or ecu. It would be good to nail down the point of failure before buying parts.

Also is the unconnected wire coming out of the receiver a ground wire that should have be connected or is it the antenna? I've read both those explanations.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:52 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've read that the receiver is the same as the one fitted to the Rover 75 range of cars. If that's the case, many Rover electrical components of that era have a reputation for suffering from cracked solder joints - so re-soldering the board inside it may be worth a try.

Also the joints on the switch in my fob cracked - a re-solder restored normal operation.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:50 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Similar Problem With 96 Discovery

I will look at the headliner for the receiver and thank you but how do you find "86-4-28 in the Rave"?