Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

remote start on a D II?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have remote start on my 2010 Chevy Camaro (Came installed from factory) and I have an after market remote start on my 2009 Ford Escape. Both are GREAT attributes to my vehicles and the one for my Escape and I can start it from my work trailer to the parking lot which is about 1/4 mile away, and that is while I am sitting inside the trailer (Not line of sight). I too have been very interested in a remote start for my D2, but just seems like they are very rare that anyone is using them. Trust me when I tell you that I will never walk outside and get into an non-started D2 when it is 10 degrees outside and just take off, I will go out and start the thing and go back inside and let it sit for 5-10 minutes and let the heater start pumping hot air. Plus, I have a 29 month old that has to go in that vehicle as well! So I don't care if it causes the motor to fall out the bottom of the truck, that is what I am doing! So it seems to me that the addition of a remote start would negate that cold A** walk out to the truck the first time and allow me to stay inside while hearing the engine fire up outside.

Just my 2cents worth!

Old 12-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I do not have a remote start, I walk out to my truck and start it and go back inside and let her warm up for 5-15 min, all depends on how cold it is and how deep the snow is.
After work I sit in her shivering while she warms up, thats usually when I check my FB status and e-mail etc. on my phone.
My work is only 1/4 mile from the expressway and no way in hell am I jumping onto the e-way with a cold engine and running her up the rev counter without being somewhat warm.
I too do not care if this is ruining my engine (its not, its no worse than sitting in traffic or in a drive thru)

Old 12-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by binvanna
The DII has chip keys which virtually all cars in the last 10 years do, and you'd need an immobilizer bypass unit.
The DII actually does not have a chip key, at least not my 2003. When I worked at Lowe's, I checked on their key machine, and it was negative. The biggest issue you are going to run into with adding a keyless start, and especially an aftermarket alarm, to a DII is the BCM, or Body Control Module. As I understand it, and I could be wrong, the BCM controls all functions on the vehicle such as rolling windows up and down, opening and closing sun roofs, even switching headlights from low to high beam and back. If that's the case, whatever system you add to the truck will have to interface with the BCM to allow you to roll windows up and down as someone mentioned in an earlier post.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:34 AM
Three Wheeling

Well my remote starts do not have window functions, but does have door lock/unlock, and will also allow me to shut off the car, if I decide to not go anywhere. I don't want $900 worth of functions, I just want a $100-200 worth of not having to freeze my A** off to go outside and start my truck when it is 10-(-10) degrees in Iowa! You would think that with all the Technology and Capabilities this day and age, that it would be possible to maybe tweak the BCM to interface with a remote start! I mean come on, they make remote starts that you can start your car from F'n Japan with your phone!

Old 12-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay after some deep research compustar is going to be a easy install and compatible with the D II

Old 12-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

A DII does not have a chip key, but installing a remote is not a simple drop in. If I remember a resister had to be added to the lock circuit. Something about LR using the same signal for lock and unlock function, so you have to add a resister to keep it from back feeding the BCM.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

This all gets me thinking. I've got a BullDog Security Model Deluxe 500 Remote Starter with Keyless Entry that I've had in the closet for years. Costco was closing them out for $39. It has the Two Way Remote with LCD Screen that shows inside temp, etc... I think this might be the vehicle to install it into. If I go there, I'll post my experience with photos.

Attached Thumbnails remote start on a D II?-bulldog-remote.jpg  

Last edited by SuperSport; 12-12-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased a viper 5101 on ebay. My plan was to use it just for the remote locking of the doors. I assumed it would be fairly easy as installing it in my D1. Not so much. As others have meantion, I need to figure out which wires on the BCM or for the door locks, and since I had to properly wire it for the doors, might as well figure out which wire to use for the tach. I will have a few days next week, so i'll look at the wiring diagrams and finally finish the install. Oh Yeah - The local alarm place will install the same alarm for $499 but I only paid $60 for it - So as long as I don't damage the BCM, I'm $400 to the good.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A place down the road quoted me $275 +tax for the install and they have done 4 with no problems so far. That scares me a bit but also makes me feel good about them. No one else i have talked to even wanted to chance it and the dealer said it would have to be aftermarket shop so that's all i have to go on.

Last edited by lr2001silver; 12-12-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

OK you wire skinners..... the D2 BCU has to talk to the IDM to make doors lock / unlock. The IDM sends power in one polarity to lock, and reverses it to unlock. The regular locks and super lock motors use the same common wire. The BCU and ECU exchange data with each other also at engine start. All this is designed to make it harder to "hot wire" which is pretty close to a remote start. Look at the BCU for inputs like "key in ignition" and "ignition power", etc.

Can it be made to work? Yep, with plenty of work, get your copy of the RAVE out.

Quick Reply: remote start on a D II?