Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

repainting the rover

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: repainting the rover

As far as macco, I have heard both bad and good, more bad then good though. You really do get what you pay for. Outside of owning my Disco 1, i have a show truck and I know how expsenive it is to have a car repainted, to redo my truckto a diffrent color was a mini,um of $2000 with hood, door jams, etc, but you will get what you pay for and the quality. My rover is green but needs to be redone and the wife wants it a diffrent color, So sometime in spring it will either be 2 tone or a light blue pearl. The good things is that i know how to paint and will be doing it myself in a paint booth with saves ALOT of money. As far as yours goes you need to make sure that the clear around the rover isnt fading or when you repaint the other parts it will look off since you will have new paint and old paint, plus clear.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

color name ?
there is a newer LR freelander running around post that is some kinda orange -ish color.
"copper sunburst" is the name of it for GM vehicles.
is it a factory color and can i get my disco painted that color? (with the rhino-lined under carriage and everything below the trim line rhino lined too and flat black hood of course)

the wife likes the copper color, i have OD'd on dark green since joining the army....
btw how many guy points do i lose for a "copper sunburst" rover?

Old 11-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Lads,
This is an interesting subject for me for two reasons. Number one,I have often thought about the white roof idea on my Discovery,but the problem is my truck is Alveston Red....which is a metallic color.Rule of thumb is that if your marrying two different colors(two tone) you should,in theory,stay with metallic throughout.Matching a metallic paint with a non metallic(solid color)paint side by side just doesn't look right. For example; If I decided to paint the roof panel of my series II Discovery,I would go with a pearl white to keep the overall paint finish uniform with the metallic Alveston Red. Check out the paint on the FJ Cruiser(at least the ones I've seen),everything is solid non metallic top and bottom.
Number two, I've been in the Body Shop business for over 20 years,and for the last 15 years I've been the Shop Foreman at a Maaco here in Canada. Rest assured,no two Maaco bodyshops are the same.We are all independently owned and are as individual as the people who own them.Being the largest bodyshop franchise in North America,you're going to hear good and bad....it's to be expected,but what I can tell you for sure is that EVERY Maaco Bodyshop has a customer satisfaction policy and a warranty that is honored at every single Maaco across North America. That being said, if there is ever a problem with the service provided at any of our Centers,there is a 1-800 number to call that will get to the bottom of the issue.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle

no guy points will be lost for a good looking paintjob, no matter how feminine the paint name... and as for the using metallic lowers and non metallic roof, i think it would look just as good as anything else... if not then you could always have a light red pearl added to the clear, but with a white paint, especially on a roof, you are not goin to get the reflection you would on the sides of a vehicle so the lack of a metallic pigment is hardly detectable... its a pretty popular thing to do to old chevy sleds, like the 56 era big ones... and it looks fantastic... of course everything boils down to personal preference and opinion... i mean look at my rover... AA yellow...
________
lesbians Webcam

Last edited by discoxd; 08-15-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:39 PM

Good point.....personal preference is everything. Whenone hasbeen refinishing vehicles for as long as I have,you start seeing things through the eyes of a fashon designer.I think maybe I should carry my wife up the stairs over my shoulder to reclaim my manhood....hope I don't break anail.....LOL!

Old 11-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whichever body shopyou take the truck to, ask if the will remove the trim/moldings instead of masking. Personally, it doesn't matter how carefulyou are, when it comes to masking you willusually always have over spray. I wouldn't expect high dollar paint jobs to mask off items thatcan be removed.

Several years ago I wanted to paint acar. At thattime I was ready and willing to use a independant shop, soI started shopping around. I did not get a good vibe from some indep shops, while another took the time to walk me around their facility.Right before I was ready to choice a indep shop I decided to check a few Maaco's in the area. It was pretty much the same experience, one Maaco I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, while another Maaco ultimately gotmy buisness for various reasons.

For a cleaner finish and to have the least amount of overspary possible, on this particular vehicleI decided to remove all the trims/moldings before taking the car in. I also removed the bumber covers (they were damage and had to be replaced) and fenders.This islabor you can do yourself and save money.

For mylabor time and the money I spent,the outcome was well worth it.

Here'sa link showingmy paint job process

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/358672/11

Do your homework and check out each facility.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well so far I have taken it to MAACO to get an estimate (there is only 1 MAACO up here in Northern Colorado). and they Quoted me about $625 for their mid level paint quality. It would be another $250 to have the roof painted white.

I am going to take it to a couple of indy shops and get some more quotes. I am not planning on having it painted until after winter so I have some time...