Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced air spring today...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 12:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Thumbs up Replaced air spring today...

After deflating erratically, degenerated into worse and detected a leak.

First time, but found it a piece of cake.
Lifted the suspension at the intended jack notch until tire was about 6" off ground. and supported the chassis. Wheel out, and lowered the jack.

Removed top clips, pushed the bag down and twisted its bottom 90 degrees.
Hanging out, pulled the metal collar at the end of air hose, and disconnected to bare hose.
Found the new replacement is different, had a 10mm coupling.
Removed the 10mm coupling and a compression bead behind it, inserted the hose into both and screwed back.
Placed the bottom, twisted in, and raising the jack slowly, mated the top holes. Clips in; Wheel in.
Reconnected the compressor I had disabled to prevent excessive duty.
Done. $58 less in the pocket.

(Had to carefully drive a few miles with no compressor and deflated bag. Like riding a go-kart !)

Old 08-28-2014, 03:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

They are pretty easy to replace. You don't beed to disconnect the compressor, uou just need to keep a door open. The compressor will not run with a door or the hood open.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:18 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

If one SLS airspring has deteriorated that badly and leaking the other is usually close behind. It's always best to change both at the same time unless they are already both new and one has become damaged. LR recommend in the RAVE manual changing them every 5 years but I reckon closer to ten would be normal unless they are offroad abused or damaged.

It only takes 45 minutes to an hour each including cleaning and painting the seatings.

I changed both mine a few months ago as a pair including wire brushing and painting the seatings. Also worth changing the shocks if they are the originals but ensure you only put the same length shocks back otherwise if they are too long they'll allow the airsprings to be overstretched and possibly tear them.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Externet

Lifted the suspension at the intended jack notch until tire was about 6" off ground. and supported the chassis. Wheel out, and lowered the jack.

Hanging out, pulled the metal collar at the end of air hose, and disconnected to bare hose.
Removed the 10mm coupling and a compression bead behind it, inserted the hose into both and screwed back.
Placed the bottom, twisted in, and raising the jack slowly, mated the top holes. Clips in; Wheel in.

(Had to carefully drive a few miles with no compressor and deflated bag. Like riding a go-kart !)
I have the same Problem. Where did you get the new Air suspension? Do I need to worry about a brand etc? Thanks

Old 09-19-2014, 05:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by sayeedA
I have the same Problem. Where did you get the new Air suspension? Do I need to worry about a brand etc? Thanks
Got it at ebay from AM-autoparts part number 1AASR00006 for $58.70 and I do not care for brand.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:23 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts
Old 09-20-2014, 10:15 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Externet

question for you. If the if the 10 mm coupling did not fit did you replace with something different? I am about to order mine just wanted to make sure if I need to buy a different brand for exact fit or do I need additional coupling? will appreciate your help. thanks

Old 09-20-2014, 10:24 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by sayeedA
question for you. If the if the 10 mm coupling did not fit did you replace with something different? I am about to order mine just wanted to make sure if I need to buy a different brand for exact fit or do I need additional coupling? will appreciate your help. thanks
I found a pair by same seller. I would rather replace both at the same time since they are old. I found this part number Rear Suspension Air Spring Bag Set Pair for 99 04 Discovery Land Rover | eBay

Do you think they are same? Thanks

Old 09-20-2014, 01:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle

In my vehicle, the original fitting at the tip of the hose was not used as the new air spring included a different 10 mm fitting that worked perfect installed on the original hose.
Yes, that is the seller I used, same air springs I got, and am happy.